Using the LM317 with higher voltages

Screenshot from 2019-12-03 11-16-49.png

Another one to throw into the pot.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
View attachment 799615

There is a cap across the zener in the real circuit and the zener is in fact a 10v voltage reference. If you put it on the other side it does not start I think. You may need a bleed resistor.

Yes start needs to be verified. But if it does start, the benefits of a much quieter reference are worth it. Worth a try.

Jan

OK, this is the regulator I will use.

It's the best compromise in PSRR and impedance.

I changed the regulator's transistor, as the original 2SA is not available.

No parts affected the impedance response.

Only the base transistor cap in the cap multiplier improved things a little in the PSRR. But not much.

All other caps changed nothing.

Attachments

• Carl62a_impedance.asc
    3.4 KB · Views: 84
One more update and some comments on other simulations I carried out.

Even if this regulator was specifically designed, in output voltage, for a Luxman clone, it can be used in any other power amp to regulate high current stages.

The simulated results are superb, even better than with the original LM317/337 I was originally planning to use. Both in PSRR and impedance.

A great help for improving PSRR were the input filters before the regulator itself: both the CRC and the capacitor multiplier.

Tests were also made replacing the CRC resistor with an inductor, but there were practically no differences in the PSRR curve, and the drop loss on both resistor and inductor was similar.

The largest drop, 3.5v, was from the CM, and I wonder if that can be diminished somehow. If not I think the input voltage will have to be 80v instead of 75v, jut to be safe on eventual AC line drops.

Included are the schematic and the asc file, so any comments or suggestions are welcome.

Attachments

• Low current power amp dual supply.jpg
    Low current power amp dual supply.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 308
  • Carl62a_dual_psrr.asc
    6.7 KB · Views: 62
The pre-regulator has its own PSRR and so does the main regulator, they add up, so if the pre-reg is -70dB and so is the main then in theory you have -140dB PSRR.

cost wise, a lm317 is probably the same cost or lower than the 2200uF/80-100V ecap, BD139
add your component cost up and find out.