Plese help. 'Krell' branded cables found online.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello readers, can someone please guide me as to stuff which is legit or not and whether one should stay away from purchasing things on ebay aliexpress etc which carry big brand names (Krell Cryo-156 power cables in this case).
They seem pretty legitimate to me with good reviews and all, but I could not find mention of the same on Krell website.
p.s. this is not aimed at starting a debate of any sort, just wanting some direction buying legitimate items. Thanks.

There are not many cable manufacturers to be found. Most cables are made by the manufacturer and re branded allowing the price to increase multiple times for no good reason.
If you purchase your cable from RS, Farnell Element13, Mouser etc, you cannot go far wrong and you will not get ripped off.
If you are a metallurgist, you will know that copper is copper and freezing it or heating it does not 'improve' it conducting qualities. Exactly the same as purchasing 'Cryogenic" valves. It is meaningless!
https://uk.rs-online.com/web/c/cables-wires/wire-single-core-cable/ has a good selection of brand names that the equipment manufacturers and professional wiremen use, similar can be found elsewhere.
Red Audiophile Hi-end hifi AMP Speaker Cable wire 10AWG 12AWG Gauge Banana Spade | eBay
is where you get well and truly taken for a mug.
Hope that helps.

Do a search like the following to see whether an item is legit or not:

krell cryo-196 power cable -ebay -aliexpress

In this example, I found almost no one selling the item once ebay and Aliexpress are left out of the search. This would suggest that Krell Cryo 196 power cable are probably fakes or knockoffs since there is no legitimate online sales.

Reactions: 1 user
Well, yes it's fake brand but for $40 you can't go wrong to try it, maybe it will works.
Sorry I'm not encourage you to support fake things but just for hobby only.
I was bought several fake cables from China via Ebay, most of it quite good. I bought fake power cable brand "A" from there and I also have the original one I bought from Canada dealer and compared them, voila exact physical and sound signature.
Don't get me wrong, I have said it just for hobby. I currently use original brand of cable like Cardas, Audioquest, Wireworld, Inakustik, & Kimber.

Last edited:
These sources are a hit & miss, mostly the second. I`ve bought stuff made of very high quality materials from Asia but it is often engineered poorly and will come with other, sometimes significant, issues. Last IEC cable (claiming to be quality) I got from there I bought to use with an ENGL head and when building an F5 Turbo amp, decided to cut it and build a bulb tester from the cable. Surprise surprise - wire inside was copper clad aluminium and conductors were not larger than 0.22 sqmm, despite claim of 15A.

Schurter have quality IEC connectors, you`re in a diy forum - get some, buy some quality wire you can actually see is thick copper and build`em all :)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.