Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

A cheap SMPS for audio on ebay
A cheap SMPS for audio on ebay
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th September 2019, 10:34 AM   #1
ginetto61 is offline ginetto61  Italy
diyAudio Member

Default A cheap SMPS for audio on ebay

Hi ! i am eyeing this unit here

500W Amplifier Dual-voltage Audio Amp Switching Power Supply Board PSU AC100-240 | eBay

Click the image to open in full size.

the price is unbelievable for a 500W unit.
Is anyone direct experience with this power supply ?
the idea is to replace the linear one in a vintage Sansui au6900 amp i have at hand and of which i like the sound quite a lot.
Thanks a lot.

Last edited by ginetto61; 12th September 2019 at 10:44 AM.
Old 12th September 2019, 10:51 AM   #2
amplidude is offline amplidude  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Try also looking on Connex Electronic | Best resource for your Audio-phile Needs!
I believe the quality and service there is much better, prices are low also,
Old 12th September 2019, 10:58 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi ! thank you very much indeed. Lately i had the opportunity to listen to a cheap integrated with a smps made by Auna and after that i have become intrigued by the idea. The sound was at least decent.
Thanks again.
Old 17th September 2019, 02:33 AM   #4
nigelwright7557 is offline nigelwright7557  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

If its "cheap", "Chinese" or "ebay" then be very careful.
Old 17th September 2019, 04:51 AM   #5
mandu is offline mandu  Singapore
diyAudio Member

I get meanwell 100 watts SMPS in enclosure for $25 here from electrical shops. This price after a few hands of suppliers and dealers and import duty etc. The Ebay price may be right for 500 watts open type for $30. You may have to add a cooling fan to avoid premature failure.
Old 17th September 2019, 06:09 AM   #6
buenavides1 is offline buenavides1  United States
diyAudio Member

I feel like the unit is a bit cheap compared to the same products that you can find all over the internet. I can say that it is a good deal though, considering the positive review from previous customers.
Old 17th September 2019, 08:14 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelwright7557 View Post
If its "cheap", "Chinese" or "ebay" then be very careful.
Hi ! thanks for the advice. Yes the price is ridiculous ... that cannot be that good. No brand ... i will skip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandu View Post
I get meanwell 100 watts SMPS in enclosure for $25 here from electrical shops. This price after a few hands of suppliers and dealers and import duty etc. The Ebay price may be right for 500 watts open type for $30. You may have to add a cooling fan to avoid premature failure.
Hi ! thanks for the instructions. The idea was to try it in a little integrated and listen for the difference. I did not think about thermal issues ... that can make everything more tricky

Quote:
Originally Posted by buenavides1 View Post
I feel like the unit is a bit cheap compared to the same products that you can find all over the internet. I can say that it is a good deal though, considering the positive review from previous customers
Hi ! thanks for the reply. Problem is how much sincere they are ... maybe they are from the same company
I understand that smps quality is very different ... i opened some smps for pc and some were very poorly made. Other from Dell and Sony very nice looking inside ... the parts looked fine.
Old 17th September 2019, 08:28 AM   #8
JonSnell Electronic is offline JonSnell Electronic  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Be aware that there may be limited leakage protection and could be dangerous to use as the cheap products do not comply with standards expected to protect the consumer in safe use.
Make sure there is at least a 1/8" or 3mm air gap between the primary and secondary winding tags on the transformer and it uses class Y interference capacitors.
I note there is no photograph of any safety isolation. Use with care!
Old 17th September 2019, 09:13 AM   #9
KVP is offline KVP  Belgium
diyAudio Member

I have 1 (in fact 2 of them) - the first that arrived caught fire when connecting to mains. I contacted seller which didn't discus and I received a second one. It works pretty well, although initial voltage without load connected to it is quite high (appox. 4 volt above what is indicated). Can't comment though about safety.
Old 17th September 2019, 09:17 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSnell Electronic View Post
Be aware that there may be limited leakage protection and could be dangerous to use as the cheap products do not comply with standards expected to protect the consumer in safe use.
Make sure there is at least a 1/8" or 3mm air gap between the primary and secondary winding tags on the transformer and it uses class Y interference capacitors.
I note there is no photograph of any safety isolation. Use with care!
Hi ! thanks for the precious advice. Better to be safe than sorry. I am skipping on the idea ... better not to play with safety. Thanks again.

A cheap SMPS for audio on ebayHide this!Advertise here!