Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

A cheap SMPS for audio on ebay
A cheap SMPS for audio on ebay
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th September 2019, 10:42 AM   #11
ginetto61 is offline ginetto61  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KVP View Post
I have 1 (in fact 2 of them) - the first that arrived caught fire when connecting to mains.
I contacted seller which didn't discus and I received a second one.
It works pretty well, although initial voltage without load connected to it is quite high (appox. 4 volt above what is indicated).
Can't comment though about safety
Hi thanks for the helpful information.
May i ask in which design are you using it ?
my curiosity started by noticing how rare are smps in audio amplifiers. Given that, i guess, a linear power supply is the most expensive part in an amp ... i do not understand why they are so rare.
Or maybe a very good one will have a price comparable to that one of a linear of same power ? so that there is no savings in the end ? i do not know.
I like very much their compactness and little weight ... the modular construction.

Last edited by ginetto61; 17th September 2019 at 10:48 AM.
Old 17th September 2019, 11:13 AM   #12
adrianbaugh is offline adrianbaugh  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

SMPS is inherently somewhat noisier than a linear supply and depending on SMPS design the switching noise can be in the audible range (or have artefacts there). Whether that results in audible noise depends also on what you're powering with it. If noise on the rails is going to get through to the output, then you either need a very good SMPS, very good filtering or a linear supply. On the other hand, other amplifiers have very good power supply rejection - the Modulus86 amplifier discussed on this forum has exceptionally good noise figures but the designer states (and can back up with measurements) that a reasonable SMPS is no problem.
Gyraf G9 || Tubelab SSE || Fostex FE126En in hybrid back loaded horn / bass reflex enclosure || Digital source (Volumio / RPi2 / Pi2Design 502DAC-Pro / Balanced Output board) || Stereo Modulus-86 based power amp
Old 17th September 2019, 11:59 AM   #13
ginetto61 is offline ginetto61  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianbaugh View Post
SMPS is inherently somewhat noisier than a linear supply and depending on SMPS design the switching noise can be in the audible range (or have artefacts there). Whether that results in audible noise depends also on what you're powering with it. If noise on the rails is going to get through to the output, then you either need a very good SMPS, very good filtering or a linear supply.
On the other hand, other amplifiers have very good power supply rejection - the Modulus86 amplifier discussed on this forum has exceptionally good noise figures but the designer states (and can back up with measurements) that a reasonable SMPS is no problem
Hi thank you very much ... i feel like i have open a can with some worms inside ... ok The fact that they are actually so rare should have told me something. Then back to linear immediately.
Thanks a lot again.
Old 17th September 2019, 01:02 PM   #14
amplidude is offline amplidude  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Heard good things about smps principle called LLC it modulates with wine wave, should be the best for audio purposes
Old 17th September 2019, 02:15 PM   #15
russc is offline russc  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KVP View Post
.... the first that arrived caught fire when connecting to mains...... Can't comment though about safety.
I think you already have!
Old 18th September 2019, 01:21 PM   #16
Kay Pirinha is offline Kay Pirinha  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amplidude View Post
Heard good things about smps principle called LLC it modulates with wine wave, should be the best for audio purposes
Well, I've made the experience that if I modulate myself with waves of wine almost anything improves .
Best regards!

A cheap SMPS for audio on ebayHide this!Advertise here!