Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tube rectifier PSU design for higher current?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th September 2019, 04:22 PM   #1
Hifoli is offline Hifoli  Austria
diyAudio Member

Default Tube rectifier PSU design for higher current?

Hi there, I'm pretty new here and are just getting my feet wet in the DIY PSU world

I'm looking to build me a PSU with a tube rectifier but I need 12V at 1~2A output. So I already figured out that this is not an easy task ^^
I was wondering if there is a way to do it. Like with a hybrid bridge or paralleling 2 or more tubes.

If it's not possible or would lead to a completely stupid design, what would be the nicest/cleanest design alternative?

Any tips are very welcome
Thank you in advance!
Hifoli

PS: PSU is for a DAC-Board
Old 4th September 2019, 04:37 PM   #2
Osvaldo de Banfield is offline Osvaldo de Banfield  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Location: Barrio Garay,Almirante Brown, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Actually there is no solution for those requirements. No normal (reception tubes) are capable of giving 12V @ 1A.
Old 4th September 2019, 08:11 PM   #3
kodabmx is offline kodabmx  Canada
Spreading triode love.
diyAudio Member

It's called a Tungar. It's a gas tube they used to charge batteries...
http://www.r-type.org/pdfs/tungar.pdf

Just use barrier diodes LOL

Last edited by kodabmx; 4th September 2019 at 08:13 PM.
Old 5th September 2019, 01:06 AM   #4
PRR is offline PRR  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hifoli View Post
....tube rectifier but I need 12V at 1~2A output....
The drop of a vacuum rectifier can be over 100V, and no ordinary vacuum rectifiers are rated over a part-Amp.

The derivation attached is inexact, and 5U4 is not the biggest bottle, but was always a go-to for big amplifiers. You need nearly 200V in, and five bottles, to get 12V 1A out. The rectifier heats-up with 15 times the power that your DAC eats, about 180 Watts in plates. +Plus+ another 75 Watts in filaments.

And it will be far too saggy for powering digital chips. Building a vacuum Regulator at 12V 1A is even more "stupid".

Use solid-state and nail a bottle to the top.
Attached Images
File Type: gif Hifoli-42.gif (38.3 KB, 159 views)
Old 5th September 2019, 01:16 AM   #5
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

A pair of tungar bulbs will work in a FW CT configuration, but are impractical and ridiculously inefficient. 25A each @ 2.5V for heating power is typical. At 1A they will drop a few volts. I have some limited experience with them for field coil power supplies, but would not recommend them to a newbie.

They are still available new in China of course..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tungar_reduced.jpg (230.1 KB, 158 views)
Old 5th September 2019, 02:22 AM   #6
multi-volti is offline multi-volti  United States
diyAudio Member

That GE scientist pictured in the Tungar book with liquid chemicals had no safety glasses. I hope he had a long safe career. Maybe that was one of Edison's people trying to find non-conducting filaments for incandescent lamps.
Old 5th September 2019, 07:37 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRR View Post
The drop of a vacuum rectifier can be over 100V, and no ordinary vacuum rectifiers are rated over a part-Amp.

The derivation attached is inexact, and 5U4 is not the biggest bottle, but was always a go-to for big amplifiers. You need nearly 200V in, and five bottles, to get 12V 1A out. The rectifier heats-up with 15 times the power that your DAC eats, about 180 Watts in plates. +Plus+ another 75 Watts in filaments.

And it will be far too saggy for powering digital chips. Building a vacuum Regulator at 12V 1A is even more "stupid".

Use solid-state and nail a bottle to the top.
So silicon bridge is probably the way to go for the DAC. Sad i would have loved some blue glowing tubes Perhaps I can put the "normal" rectifier tube into the reclocker PSU I'll build (5V, 100mA) so I can nail the tube on top and also use it ;D
Old 6th September 2019, 11:28 AM   #8
kodabmx is offline kodabmx  Canada
Spreading triode love.
diyAudio Member

The only rectifiers that glow blue are mercury types like 83 and 82... They are very noisy apparently.
Old 11th September 2019, 11:45 AM   #9
Mark Tillotson is offline Mark Tillotson
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hifoli View Post
So silicon bridge is probably the way to go for the DAC. Sad i would have loved some blue glowing tubes
Fake it with blue LEDs then??!

Thermionics doesn't do high current densities I'm afraid. Gas tubes are something else, high current densities are available, but not at low voltage, for instance mercury rectifiers used to be the main high power device years ago.
Old 11th September 2019, 04:22 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I wanted to put the tube rectifier in it bc my preamp and amp are tube based and I liked the idea of having one in the DAC section but you are right: tubes are not suitable for low voltages.

So I already threw the idea and am now looking into silicon/schottky for the rectifier and some kind of LC filter after that.

So as I'm into math and numbers I'm now looking into circuits and transfer functions (although it seems its more like going throgh transformer/choke manufactures catalogues to see what one can find that gets close to what one needs and then build around that ^^)

Tube rectifier PSU design for higher current?Hide this!Advertise here!