Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

First Linear Power Supply Build Questions
First Linear Power Supply Build Questions
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th September 2019, 11:46 PM   #31
LateraLiz is offline LateraLiz  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteDragon View Post
LM338 is pretty straight forward to work with.

just follow the data sheet.

10,000 uf seems excessive
just keep things simple. likewise use a large heatsink

worse comes to worse
you can run 2 in regulators in parallel which allows 10 amp current.
but the idea is to stay with your original design and allow better heat dissipation with 2 devices 2 heatsinks. fan is good idea. might not be needed. otherwise every fan i know of can be turned off and on with a switch.
large heatsink is the easiest

pretty straight forward

headphone amp definitely doesnt need all this voltage and current. but the intention of building a bench supply makes sense.

22 to 25 volt transformer seems feasible. as mentioned smaller transformers tend to have poor regulation. meaning they have higher voltage when not fully loaded
Adding a fan connected to a sensor to manage heat dissipation is really more about learning how to program and implement sensor based features, and feeling fancy about doing so.

As for the comment about a headphone amp not needing all this voltage and current - "need" is highly subjective. You can power planar magnetic headphones directly from a smartphone. Will they sound good? Not really. Planars like power, and I like options. And who knows, maybe at the end of this I'll come to the same conclusion you reached - headphones don't need quite that much power, after all. There's really only one way to find out!

With regards to transformer regulation, after someone brought that to my attention in the above replies, I've narrowed down my options to transformers rated at 9% regulation, and between 30-36volts to avoid the problems you mention. Thanks for the pointers!

First Linear Power Supply Build QuestionsHide this!Advertise here!