Why did it fry?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok, it’s hooked up. No smoke but I’m afraid to turn it up past the point where each rail gets ~ +9V or -9V.
See pics.
41BAE816-8FD4-4962-9533-DCCF1A365DE4.jpg
59C20FAD-D5F3-4DA2-BF4D-CE333C8ACC92.jpg
I was still slightly confused by the transformer, so I drew a diagram. Let me know if the two transformer options I drew are wrong, or if I hooked it up wrong.
35301D79-C499-4FD6-A339-7E1711507908.jpg
Thanks a bunch for your help!!! This circuit might eventually work.
Now to order new resistors and figure out how I actually want to hook it up for use...

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Remember there is no such thing as + or - AC. Its just AC.

Try this... put your meter on AC volts and measure from the 'centre' ground point to each point you have marked - and + 15 volts AC.

You should read 15 volts AC for each.

Now connect the meter between your marked +15AC and -15AC and you should read 30 volts AC. If so then its all correct.

If you got a very low voltage (or near zero) for that last step then the polarity of either one of the 15 volt windings needs reversing... but according to your diagram you have it correct :)

Ok, it’s hooked up. No smoke but I’m afraid to turn it up past the point where each rail gets ~ +9V or -9V.
See pics.
View attachment 776680
View attachment 776681
I was still slightly confused by the transformer, so I drew a diagram. Let me know if the two transformer options I drew are wrong, or if I hooked it up wrong.
View attachment 776687
Thanks a bunch for your help!!! This circuit might eventually work.
Now to order new resistors and figure out how I actually want to hook it up for use...

Have you built a light bulb limiter? If not I would do so. It will save you having to buy more parts.

Hey Melamst,
If you want best sound from this project, and who doesn't, start looking at other types of voltage regulation, like shunt, etc, to replace those 3 pin voltage regulators. The 78XX regulators are fine for digital circuits, I use them all the time, but not the best for sound. Look at some of Nelson Pass articles and you will see some good, simple voltage regulators.
Good luck with your project.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.