Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Need Suggestions for a 16V bipolar power supply kit
Need Suggestions for a 16V bipolar power supply kit
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th July 2019, 02:07 AM   #1
drtebi is offline drtebi  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Need Suggestions for a 16V bipolar power supply kit

I am working on a new project which consists of two EQP5 modules from DIYREC. The idea is to build a stereo pultec-style equalizer that I want to experiment with in my HiFi setup.

Each module needs +/- 16V DC, and I am having trouble finding a kit that can provide this. I would prefer a kit that provides at least the PCB, preferably all the parts. I am no expert, so building one from scratch on a breadboard is a bit intimidating to me...

I have on order a +/- 15V power supply from glassware audio which I intend to use for another project (DIAL-DAC). From what I understand, I can use this for the EQP5 as well, at least for testing. But ideally I would like the "correct" +/-16V.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good kit? Maybe one that is easily modified to supply 16V (I guess I could modify the glassware kit, but I wouldn't know how to...).

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 19th July 2019, 02:15 AM   #2
nigelwright7557 is offline nigelwright7557  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I would have thought you could get away with 1 volt difference.

Otherwise, you could buy a pcb off ebay but use decent quality components from a reputable supplier instead.
Old 19th July 2019, 03:05 AM   #3
PRR is offline PRR  United States
diyAudio Member

The EQ will work, just fine, with +/-15V.

However if it makes you happier, the Glassware regulator is programmed with simple resistor ratios. Get the +/-15V job, then tack about 2k or 5k across the resistors I have circled. Or contact John, he knows what resistors he uses for 15V and can probably tell you what gives 16V.
Attached Images
File Type: gif dual-bipolar-lv-reg-9-HACK.gif (20.4 KB, 153 views)
Old 19th July 2019, 05:51 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I did actually ask Peterson from DIYREC whether 15 volts would be enough, and his opinion was the same... 1 volt difference shouldn't be a problem, I would just loose a little bit of headroom.

I have asked John from glassware but haven't gotten a response yet...

Once I have his board I can post what resistors are used, and maybe someone can point out with which ones I could replace them with? Unfortunately my knowledge in electronics is very slim

There is one other power supply I have found which I would like to ask about, the Placid HD power supply from twisted pear audio. Could that one be build to output +/- 16V?
Old 19th July 2019, 05:52 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelwright7557 View Post
Otherwise, you could buy a pcb off ebay but use decent quality components from a reputable supplier instead.
That's a good idea, although I would need a lot of help to figure out which components to use. I guess I could do that with the PS from twisted pear audio as well.
Old 20th July 2019, 01:52 AM   #6
gigigirl is offline gigigirl
diyAudio Member

Try these, just remember to ask the vendor to set the P/S boards to 16VDC. Board will work of of AC or DC.

LT1963A LT1963 regulated power supply board for decoding, preamplifier coaxial | eBay

Cheers
Old 20th July 2019, 10:12 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigigirl View Post
Try these, just remember to ask the vendor to set the P/S boards to 16VDC. Board will work of of AC or DC.

LT1963A LT1963 regulated power supply board for decoding, preamplifier coaxial | eBay

Cheers
Thanks for the tip. I suppose they work, but I always feel a bit iffy about these chinese offers... descriptions I can hardly decipher, pictures of capacitors split apart???

The price is right, but... I'd rather pay a few more dollars for something that at least appears a bit more sincere.
Old 20th July 2019, 10:17 AM   #8
jan.didden is offline jan.didden  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtebi View Post
Each module needs +/- 16V DC, and I am having trouble finding a kit that can provide this.
I would think the fully documented and build hundreds of times Superreg from the diyaudio store would fit the bill perfectly ...

Jan
Old 20th July 2019, 10:33 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan.didden View Post
I would think the fully documented and build hundreds of times Superreg from the diyaudio store would fit the bill perfectly ...

Jan
I have seen that PS, but when I took a closer look, I was a bit irritated because it says "DC In" on the left side of the board? So I thought it was just a sort of "smoother" board rather than an entire power supply. Maybe I am wrong, but it is a bit confusing to say the least...
Old 20th July 2019, 11:10 AM   #10
jan.didden is offline jan.didden  Europe
diyAudio Member

It is a regulator, one of the best available. Its origins go back to Walt Jung's work in the 80-ies, and I have worked with Walt over the (many) years to improve the performance incrementally to its present state. There's some additional info on my web site. Yes it takes DC in, so you have your own transformer, rectifier, reservoir cap, and the Superreg makes very low noise, extremely stable and almost 'ideal' DC from it.

The Superreg can be used from anything from 3.3V up to 24V or more, at currents from a few 10's of mA up to 1A, so it wouldn't make much sense to lock it in to a specific xformer etc.

I'll check the description but I am pretty sure that it is presented as a power supply regulator, not as a complete power supply. The name superreg also makes that clear I would think. But thanks for the heads up.

Edit: there is one place where it is not referred to as a 'regulator' but as a 'supply' so I will ask Jason to amend that.

Jan

Last edited by jan.didden; 20th July 2019 at 11:24 AM.

Need Suggestions for a 16V bipolar power supply kitHide this!Advertise here!