Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Need Suggestions for a 16V bipolar power supply kit
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th July 2019, 08:02 PM   #11
drtebi is offline drtebi  United States
diyAudio Member

I found another possible PS, from Elliott Sound Products:
Power Supply for Preamps

I think I may go for that one. I will need to get the parts myself, but that may be a good learning experience as well From what I understand, it should be no problem to get +/- 16V from the P05. The muting circuit may come in handy as well.
Old 20th July 2019, 08:14 PM   #12
jan.didden is offline jan.didden  Europe
diyAudio Member

That'll work, its the basic LM37/337 data sheet application circuit, bullet proof. In the test article I linked to earlier, it came in about mid-field which is fine for almost any circuit with a decent Power Supply Rejection Ratio (PSRR), which I think yours is.

You can adjust R4A, B and R6A, B for the required output. Just remember that R3, R4 will want to see 1.2V across them, so their ratio to R4A, B and R6A, B set Vout (fig 1 in your link).
The dropout is a few volts so make sure that your input DC, minus the ripple, is at least 18V, also at mains dips. I think Elliot recommends 20V nominal input which is sensible.

Jan
Old 20th July 2019, 08:17 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan.didden View Post
That'll work, its the basic LM37/337 data sheet application circuit, bullet proof. In the test article I linked to earlier, it came in about mid-field which is fine for almost any circuit with a decent Power Supply Rejection Ratio (PSRR), which I think yours is.

You can adjust R4A, B and R6A, B for the required output. Just remember that R3, R4 will want to see 1.2V across them, so their ratio to R4A, B and R6A, B set Vout (fig 1 in your link).
The dropout is a few volts so make sure that your input DC, minus the ripple, is at least 18V, also at mains dips. I think Elliot recommends 20V nominal input which is sensible.

Jan
Thank you for the tips!

I believe this transformer would work with it?
Avel Lindberg Y236103 30VA 15V+15V Toroidal Transformer
Old 20th July 2019, 08:34 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

If it is 15V under load you can expect 15 * 1.4 after rectification, then you lose 2 * 0.7 in the diodes, so say just a trifle below 20V.
How much current does your preamp need?
And you can always lower the output to 15V if necessary, I doubt whether the preamp would care one way or another ;-)

Jan

Last edited by jan.didden; 20th July 2019 at 08:37 PM.
Old 20th July 2019, 08:44 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

It's an equalizer that I am building... I need to power two of these:
EQP5 Passive Equalizer – DIY Recording Equipment

I don't know how much current it will draw, but I suppose very little, as it is a passive equalizer...
Old 21st July 2019, 05:54 AM   #16
PRR is offline PRR  United States
diyAudio Member

> I don't know how much current it will draw, but I suppose very little, as it is a passive equalizer...

Any patchable (unity overall gain) EQ has amplifier(s), even if the EQ-shaping is "passive".

The stock amplifiers on that board appear to be two NE5532. Datasheet says up to 16mA per chip. If all four channels were loaded in 600 Ohms (unlikely), that could be another 10mA/ch of dynamic current. So up to 72mA of current. Long experience says you will be fine with 40mA (10mA per '5532) in consoles with hundreds of the bugs in them mixing heavy metal rock.

Oh, there are LEDs so add another 10mA: 82mA (0.082 Amps).

PSRR is nominally 80dB. So it will eat slightly-cleaned garbage, such as a C-R-C filter. _Me_, I would double 12VAC 1A to +/-18VDC, 1,000uFd, 100r, 1,000uFd. I have done that in a near-field monitor and nobody heard any buzz. The "80dB" is probably for low frequencies, and reduces at high frequencies, but C filtering cleans the highs even better than the lows so there will not even be tweetie-buzz (high-high harmonics of power line).
Old 21st July 2019, 06:06 AM   #17
itsikhefez is offline itsikhefez  United States
diyAudio Member

I have had good success with the AMB sigma 22, but that may be overkill for this application
Old 21st July 2019, 08:39 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRR View Post
>
PSRR is nominally 80dB. So it will eat slightly-cleaned garbage, such as a C-R-C filter. _Me_, I would double 12VAC 1A to +/-18VDC, 1,000uFd, 100r, 1,000uFd. I have done that in a near-field monitor and nobody heard any buzz. The "80dB" is probably for low frequencies, and reduces at high frequencies, but C filtering cleans the highs even better than the lows so there will not even be tweetie-buzz (high-high harmonics of power line).
I have to admit I am a bit lost. What does the 80dB refer to? "double 12VAC", are you referring to a transformer with dual secondaries for 12V?

Last edited by drtebi; 21st July 2019 at 08:45 AM.
Old 21st July 2019, 08:39 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsikhefez View Post
I have had good success with the AMB sigma 22, but that may be overkill for this application
Thanks. I have looked at that a few times, and felt a bit overwhelmed... so yes, probably a bit overkill for this project.
Old 21st July 2019, 09:50 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtebi View Post
I have to admit I am a bit lost. What does the 80dB refer to? "double 12VAC", are you referring to a transformer with dual secondaries for 12V?
It's is the amount that the regulator (or whatever you use) suppresses the ripple, noise and other junk that comes in from the mains and the rectification process. You don't want that at the output of your regulator, you want just the DC. It will never suppress it all, but good ones suppress it a lot.
A superreg I mentioned before can get to 100dB or more.

Then there is also the suppression of the supply voltage junk by the load, in this case the preamp, itself. Using opamps you can easily get another 80dB suppression; with discrete circuits it normally is a lot less, in some cases nothing at all.

Also note that the suppression normally drops at 20dB with each decade of frequency, so 80dB at 1kHz degrades to 60dB at 10kHz.

To remember too: every 20dB is a factor 10, so 80dB suppression means an attenuation of a factor 10,000.

Jan

Last edited by jan.didden; 21st July 2019 at 10:04 AM.

Need Suggestions for a 16V bipolar power supply kitHide this!Advertise here!