Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

"Ideal" MOSFET Rectifiers
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th July 2019, 10:37 AM   #11
00940 is offline 00940  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mterbekke View Post
And of course it's more "green", if you like that color ;-)
With high power devices, the gain is quite certain. But with low power devices, the electricity saved isn't much. My gut feeling is that the savings wouldn't offset the extra work involved with those rectifiers (pcb, soldering, etc) compared to a good old diode bridge. I really wonder how to assess the break even point.
Old 19th July 2019, 10:55 AM   #12
analog_sa is offline analog_sa  Europe
diyAudio Member

The ONLY reason i get interested in the sync rectification is the hope it may lead to less switching noise and thus better sound. Reports along these lines have so far been encouraging. Of course, for the strictly engineering types, audible differences alone may be of very little importance.
Old 19th July 2019, 11:14 PM   #13
phase is offline phase  United States
diyAudio Member

I am curious to find out if there are comparisons to standard diode rectifies with decent snubber circuits applied.
Old 20th July 2019, 05:24 AM   #14
PRR is offline PRR  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EUVL View Post
....is the idea of using MOSFET for rectification new?... dating back to 2006, i.e. more than 10 years. ....
First thing I thought of: the Siliconix MOSPOWER Applications book from 1984. Shows sync MOSFET rectification and benefits. Around page 5-91.

I doubt it was new then. It was probably done with Mercury tubes long ago, to reduce even the small ignition delay of Mercury.
Attached Images
File Type: gif MOSPOWER-1984.gif (265.4 KB, 163 views)
Old 22nd July 2019, 09:29 AM   #15
limbik 5 is offline limbik 5  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hello, I have spent some time comparing different types of diodes and rectifiers in countless comparisons and different usage profiles according to sonic criteria. Surprisingly, diodes sound different. 4 years ago, I also included the mosfet rectifiers in the comparisons. to make it short, you could the respective tonal advantages of e.g vishay glass diodes, hexfred diodes and all rectifiers used for comparison. mosfet-rectification had in sum all positive sound properties of comparison group. Over the past 4 years, I've built well over 300 high quality power supplies with mosfet rectification. i used it in all power supplies for e.g. nuc, streamer, dac, pre-amp, etc. the tonal enhancement to conventional rectifiers is more than remarkable. I started with the standard circuit from the LT 4320 data sheet. meanwhile i have 4 own board layouts, for positive as well as negative power supply. I have universally applicable power supplies for analog and digital devices that dont need not fear the comparison with international power tools.

regards
Old 22nd July 2019, 09:54 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by limbik 5 View Post
that dont need not fear the comparison with international power tools.
Better than Black&Decker?

Nice report, but where are the pics?
Old 22nd July 2019, 09:55 AM   #17
mterbekke is offline mterbekke  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

And: the mosfets sound different as well.
It really isn't ard to imagine when you know all this current and voltage from the transformer has 100(120) times per second a chance of being exactly in series with your signal.
Old 22nd July 2019, 10:55 AM   #18
limbik 5 is offline limbik 5  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by analog_sa View Post
Better than Black&Decker?

Nice report, but where are the pics?
i love Google translate ;-)
i got binford-tools in my mind
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20181211_182043_resized_20190722_125316183.jpg (266.0 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20190402-WA0005.jpg (90.2 KB, 123 views)
Old 22nd July 2019, 11:09 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Great stuff

"Ideal" MOSFET RectifiersHide this!Advertise here!