Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Battery power supply for phono amps
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th July 2019, 09:39 PM   #1
gigigirl is offline gigigirl
diyAudio Member

Default Battery power supply for phono amps

Hi, Just spotted these on F/Bay & thought they could provide an ideal super clean DC voltage foe running a phono amp.

Universal Charger Power Supply Adapter for Laptop Computer Fast Charging 100W | eBay

Any thoughts?

Cheers
Old 12th July 2019, 10:34 PM   #2
rayma is online now rayma  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigigirl View Post
Hi, Just spotted these on F/Bay & thought they could provide
an ideal super clean DC voltage foe running a phono amp.
Some use these switching power supplies with low power amplifiers,
but they are likely too noisy for a phono stage without lots of filtering.
Old 13th July 2019, 11:23 AM   #3
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

I can't see anything in that advert which might suggest a "super clean" DC output. On the contrary, the DC voltage of 15-20V suggests poor regulation. Laptops and their power supply arrangements are known to be very unfussy as they are designed to accept all sorts of different battery and charger voltages and then internally convert them and clean them up to the very precise supply which the computer itself needs. So use a laptop charger supply when you don't really care what the voltage is and you can cope with lots of noise.
Old 13th July 2019, 11:37 AM   #4
jackinnj is online now jackinnj  United States
diyAudio Member

Do yourself a favor and get one of Jan's silent switchers, you can run it off the USB or from a couple of NiCads -- it is extremely quiet, very low output impedance and very small.

The SilentSwitcher | Linear Audio NL
Old 13th July 2019, 10:06 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default Assumed it was battery supply

Hi Guy's, I assumed it was a lithium battery supply type. However you may be correct & it could be just a fancy (or not so fancy) power supply.

have got a Silent Switcher & sorry was not impressed with it, not as quiet as SLA batteries. I have 24V Studer supply which is quieter than SLA batteries & am using that at present.
STUDER900 Linear power supply 25W Regulated PSU DC 5V 6V 7V 9V 12V 15V 18V 24V | eBay

However I have used an 18VDC lithium supply from my battery powered hedge trimmer & that is even quieter than the Studer supply, only just.

So I have been browsing for something that could do the same job as the battery out of the hedge trimmer.

Cheers
Old 13th July 2019, 10:28 PM   #6
rayma is online now rayma  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I have been browsing for something that could do the same job as
the battery out of the hedge trimmer.
Just buy another one, or use that one double-duty.
Old 13th July 2019, 10:41 PM   #7
wiseoldtech is offline wiseoldtech  United States
diyAudio Member

A simple LM78xx/79xx regulator along with a proper analog supply is all one needs, as long as it's built properly.
Dead silence and pure DC is then achieved, and all the "fuss" over such things is a moot point.
Old 13th July 2019, 11:03 PM   #8
mmerrill99 is offline mmerrill99
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hi Guy's, I assumed it was a lithium battery supply type. However you may be correct & it could be just a fancy (or not so fancy) power supply.

have got a Silent Switcher & sorry was not impressed with it, not as quiet as SLA batteries. I have 24V Studer supply which is quieter than SLA batteries & am using that at present.
STUDER900 Linear power supply 25W Regulated PSU DC 5V 6V 7V 9V 12V 15V 18V 24V | eBay

However I have used an 18VDC lithium supply from my battery powered hedge trimmer & that is even quieter than the Studer supply, only just.

So I have been browsing for something that could do the same job as the battery out of the hedge trimmer.

Cheers
What voltage does your phono amp require?
Is the 18V Lithium battery supply using a voltage regulator on it's output?
Old 15th July 2019, 10:40 PM   #9
Bare is offline Bare  Canada
diyAudio Member

Suggest you Find a NiCad battery pack of appropriate to your needs voltage.
Testings a while back determined that Venerable Nicad Batteries gave DC power so clean and stable that it exceeded the Lab equipments' ability to accurately measure that low.
Nothing else was even close.
Tricky bit is to find a Nicad Battery.. these days.
Old 16th July 2019, 09:19 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Default Thanks for the input.

Hi Guys, thanks for the input. I need battery which is between 15 to 24 VDC for my phono amps.
I have done a bit more browsing & found this from JayCar which may do the trick. Better still it is currently on sale at only NZ$23 (about US$16). Definitely battery powered

6,600mAh Laptop Power Bank | Jaycar Electronics New Zealand

Cheers

Battery power supply for phono ampsHide this!Advertise here!