Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Measuring earth currents - tips?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th June 2019, 08:42 AM   #1
primalsea is offline primalsea  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Measuring earth currents - tips?

Is there any best way to measure earth currents with a scope where the act of measuring does not effect what is being measured?

I want to track down the last traces of noise in my phono stage and suspect that it is a mix of mainsbourne EMI pick up and localised ground loops, the first stage of the amp seems very sensitive to these.

I wondering if I will end up chasing my tail where the measuring effects what is being measured.
Old 12th June 2019, 09:18 AM   #2
JonSnell Electronic is offline JonSnell Electronic  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

There should only be an earth current under a fault condition.
Old 12th June 2019, 10:35 AM   #3
primalsea is offline primalsea  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Yep, could have phrased that better. I mean measuring very low level ground loops that might exist and be causing noise in the output of the amplifier.
Old 12th June 2019, 10:39 AM   #4
ubergeeknz is offline ubergeeknz  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

I think you'll have a very hard time, as you've perhaps figured out the meter itself will dramatically affect the situation.

Post pictures of your layout and wiring scheme, and I'm sure someone here can help you identify your problem.
Old 12th June 2019, 02:48 PM   #5
Speedskater is offline Speedskater  United States
diyAudio Member

If you are doing voltage measurements then use a filament or power transformer as an isolation transformer connected to the O-scope probe.
Old 12th June 2019, 03:16 PM   #6
Vovk Z is offline Vovk Z  Ukraine
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubergeeknz View Post
I think you'll have a very hard time, as you've perhaps figured out the meter itself will dramatically affect the situation.
- if we use battery powered multimeter then you are right - there isn't a big problem. But if we start to use mains-connected devices (oscillograph or else) - then the problem arises at full height.
For example: my Tektronix 2465A have some portion of bad old film X2 caps in power supply (I had changed only one yet, it was several years ago). So when I connect the osc probe to the device under test (audio power amplifier for example) and look at on-line spectrogram - I clearly see additional mains harmonics (they were much lower several years ago, so I see that some more X2 caps died).
The solution may be, for example, to use battery powered oscillograph - modern digital devices give us such a possibility.

Last edited by Vovk Z; 12th June 2019 at 03:25 PM.
Old 13th June 2019, 10:24 AM   #7
trobbins is offline trobbins  Australia
diyAudio Member

Are you focusing on pre-amplifier circuitry, or the wiring and pickup outside the pre-amplifier, or a main amplifier ?

If it relates to quite low noise and hum levels (considering the phono input application), then I'd suggest using a soundcard and software spectrum analyser setup, which can provide a noise floor well below any record. In that same vein, you won't be able to lower the record noise floor, so reducing circuit based noise has a diminishing return on effort.
Old 15th June 2019, 07:08 PM   #8
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Don't measure ground loops. Get rid of them.

Measuring earth currents - tips?Hide this!Advertise here!