Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

6v 5AH SLA AGM battery dead but being revived possibly?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th June 2019, 07:20 PM   #51
realflow100 is offline realflow100  United States
diyAudio Member

The amplifier has two 25A fuses in it so it should blow the fuses if something in the amp shorts out. but even at maximum possible output it doesnt even draw more than 30 amps of power playing a constant sinewave signal.
I normally dont run it even half of that though playing heavy bass music only draws about 3 to 10 amps I have my subwoofers in series cause the amplifier is powerful enough to blow my subwoofers up if they are hooked up separately in separate channels bridged
I just have them on one channel bridged right now in series so they have no chance of getting cooked cause i think the amplifier puts out a bit more than its rated power of 240W RMS bridged at 4 ohms

the subwoofers are two single-voice-coil 4-ohm subwoofers rated for 250W RMS so in series they are 8 ohms

Last edited by realflow100; 20th June 2019 at 07:23 PM.
Old 20th June 2019, 07:40 PM   #52
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

25A is fine for protecting against a short with a lead acid battery. It would easily blow that in the event of a fault.

You still have to remember that 25A at 12 volts is 300 watts and so there are still safety hazards in the event of faults occurring. Make sure your amps are in proper enclosures and not just bare boards on the floor (such as carpet). Never underestimate just how much energy there is in a fully charged battery.

Stay safe and have fun with it all
Old 21st June 2019, 01:21 AM   #53
diyAudio Member

I wired in a single 50A fuse in line 4 inches from the battery using some F2 connector terminals crimped in line with the wire going to the amplifier from the battery so if something shorts the fuse will pop instead of the batteries and wires burning or smoking
they are silicone wire though rated up to 200*C so I got some good quality wire. they are tinned and very flexible wires.
My amplifier is rated for 2x 240W RMS which is close to 34A probably draws about 34 to 40A at max power so I picked a 50A fuse since its about right for the amplifier since the amplifier already has two 25A fuses in it

Last edited by realflow100; 21st June 2019 at 01:30 AM.
Old 22nd June 2019, 02:50 AM   #54
diyAudio Member

Default 6v 5AH SLA AGM batteries holding strong voltage after revival

after sitting overnight they are still holding a voltage of 13.35v total
with them in series

I revived them from the graveyard of broken kids powerwheels left in the ditch
they are 6v 5AH SLA AGM batteries I fully charged them both up and revived them and they are doing very well and holding a very strong voltage after being fully charged and sit overnight and they are put in series for 12v operation and they seem to be working very well. I have put a few cycles on them now

I have the two 6v batteries hooked up in series along with a 12v battery to use them together as a larger a 10AH battery pack and they seem to easily power stuff they hold a strong voltage under load as well.
I plan on keeping them for all kinds of future projects and stuff. even for emergency power supply I have a DC 12v to AC 120v power inverter that I can use to power stuff if the power goes out and stuff too.
Old 22nd June 2019, 04:46 AM   #55
JMFahey is offline JMFahey  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Maybe you found a goldmine. Now all you have to do is go to dumpsters; get all dead ones you can grab; recycle them to better than new as you did an resell them for a juicy profit.
Old 22nd June 2019, 05:27 AM   #56
diyAudio Member

apparently dumpster diving is illegal where i live for some reason. last time i took anything out of the dumpster (it was a radio/stereo receiver thing) they threatened to call the cops if they catch me doing it again.

so im limited to stuff thats in the ditch or NEXT to the dumpster but not IN it. i live in an appartment complex place and its a public dumpster too. we throw out garbage in it every day anyways so i think its hilariously stupid that it would be illegal to take anything out of it.
What a world this is. where you cant even recycle stuff. im in south carolina
And the radio/stereo receiver worked too. only the cd tray part doesnt work and thats not even a problem. it even has a working cassette tape recorder and player that works.
I even one time got a lamp that just needed a new cord and it works fine.

Last edited by realflow100; 22nd June 2019 at 05:33 AM.
Old 24th June 2019, 12:45 PM   #57
Kay Pirinha is online now Kay Pirinha  Germany
diyAudio Member

Is there really any necessity to open two threads on the same topic within just one month?

Best regards!
Old 25th June 2019, 07:36 AM   #58
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Threads merged

6v 5AH SLA AGM battery dead but being revived possibly?Hide this!Advertise here!