6v 5AH SLA AGM battery dead but being revived possibly?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I hook them in parallel to a small 1 amp load for about 15 minutes and then charge back up before putting them in series and they are keeping within 0.01v of each other!
really nice find some free 6v 5AH batteries could use them in all kinds of things!
I might even hook them up in series parallel with my other 12v 5AH battery to make it 12v 10AH capacity.
I'm gonna need some really beefy wires though so theres not any voltage drop between the terminals and connections

Anyone know what kind of connectors I can get to do that efficiently with a reliable sturdy connection?
the 6v batteries have the same F2 style spade connector
but the 12v one has F1 style spade connector
is there a neat way I can hook them all up together and have some way to screw or clamp on some cables to them for using?
preferably some from amazon
I want the two 6v batteries in series as a 12v battery. and that hooked in parallel to my other 12v battery. and have the connections be good and strong with more than thick enough wire. like 10awg or 8awg for all connections
so I need at least an F2 to F2 connector to hook the two 6v batteries in series. and then I need two F2 to F1 connectors to hook the 12v series battery pack to the 12v battery.
and then I need some kind of terminal to go in between the F2 to F1 connectors to act as the output. but i'm not sure what that would work I dont want a ton of connectors connected.
I could just solder all the connections but thats a pain and its hard to solder onto these thick wires and battery terminals unless I have like as 150 to 200W soldering iron and ive only got a cheap 60W soldering iron.
and I want to be able to easily take it apart if I want to use the batteries separately for separate projects.

Last edited:
i have checked and they stay pretty close the entire time i discharged them. within 0.02 of a volt of each other.
and actually with them both in series fresh off the charger it sits at about 13v to 13.1v with them in series after a few hours of sitting so a bit higher than my other 12v 5AH battery that sits at about 12.9v to 13v after a few hours of sitting
so theyve still got plenty of water in them holding strong voltage not dried out at all.
i did some higher current tests and they hold voltage pretty good.

Last edited:
I just got some much beefier wire for my batteries to hook them up more reliably and neatly
6 spade F2 connector terminals to fit onto the battery terminals
and 2 piggyback F2 connector terminals so I can reliably hook the batteries together.
its two 6v 5AH batteries hooked in series as a 12v battery. and that hooked in parallel to a 5AH 12v battery that i have so I now have 10AH of capacity
I use some 10awg flexible silicone insulated wire crimped tight into the F2 terminals with the help of my wire stripper/crimper tool
now its really neat and can handle a lot more current too and it doesnt drop voltage nearly as much as before

I had to wire them in a sort of criss-cross pattern so the current is shared perfectly between the two 12v battery packs if that makes sense?
that way it'll get maximum power to my amplifier with minimal voltage drop.
and I used as short of cable as I can feasibly use for the wire hooking the batteries together
works great!

The amplifier has two 25A fuses in it so it should blow the fuses if something in the amp shorts out. but even at maximum possible output it doesnt even draw more than 30 amps of power playing a constant sinewave signal.
I normally dont run it even half of that though playing heavy bass music only draws about 3 to 10 amps I have my subwoofers in series cause the amplifier is powerful enough to blow my subwoofers up if they are hooked up separately in separate channels bridged
I just have them on one channel bridged right now in series so they have no chance of getting cooked cause i think the amplifier puts out a bit more than its rated power of 240W RMS bridged at 4 ohms

the subwoofers are two single-voice-coil 4-ohm subwoofers rated for 250W RMS so in series they are 8 ohms

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
25A is fine for protecting against a short with a lead acid battery. It would easily blow that in the event of a fault.

You still have to remember that 25A at 12 volts is 300 watts and so there are still safety hazards in the event of faults occurring. Make sure your amps are in proper enclosures and not just bare boards on the floor (such as carpet). Never underestimate just how much energy there is in a fully charged battery.

Stay safe and have fun with it all :)

I wired in a single 50A fuse in line 4 inches from the battery using some F2 connector terminals crimped in line with the wire going to the amplifier from the battery so if something shorts the fuse will pop instead of the batteries and wires burning or smoking
they are silicone wire though rated up to 200*C so I got some good quality wire. they are tinned and very flexible wires.
My amplifier is rated for 2x 240W RMS which is close to 34A probably draws about 34 to 40A at max power so I picked a 50A fuse since its about right for the amplifier since the amplifier already has two 25A fuses in it

Last edited:
6v 5AH SLA AGM batteries holding strong voltage after revival

after sitting overnight they are still holding a voltage of 13.35v total
with them in series

I revived them from the graveyard of broken kids powerwheels left in the ditch
they are 6v 5AH SLA AGM batteries I fully charged them both up and revived them and they are doing very well and holding a very strong voltage after being fully charged and sit overnight and they are put in series for 12v operation and they seem to be working very well. I have put a few cycles on them now

I have the two 6v batteries hooked up in series along with a 12v battery to use them together as a larger a 10AH battery pack and they seem to easily power stuff they hold a strong voltage under load as well.
I plan on keeping them for all kinds of future projects and stuff. even for emergency power supply I have a DC 12v to AC 120v power inverter that I can use to power stuff if the power goes out and stuff too.

apparently dumpster diving is illegal where i live for some reason. last time i took anything out of the dumpster (it was a radio/stereo receiver thing) they threatened to call the cops if they catch me doing it again.

so im limited to stuff thats in the ditch or NEXT to the dumpster but not IN it. i live in an appartment complex place and its a public dumpster too. we throw out garbage in it every day anyways so i think its hilariously stupid that it would be illegal to take anything out of it.
What a world this is. where you cant even recycle stuff. im in south carolina
And the radio/stereo receiver worked too. only the cd tray part doesnt work and thats not even a problem. it even has a working cassette tape recorder and player that works.
I even one time got a lamp that just needed a new cord and it works fine.

Last edited:
I tested the batteries with a load and they were able to absolutely easily sustain 4 to 10 amps playing music through my subwoofer 12v car amplifier and they held over 12v with ease playing for about 5 minutes at high volume just for a test and after resting with no load for just a minute afterwards the voltage went up to just over 13v!

the 250W RMS subwoofers dustcap actually got pretty warm from being played so hard when i felt it with my hand. i think i need a more powerful subwoofer if I want to use the full power of my amplifier.
my gain isnt even at max clean power.
so I ended up setting my subwoofers up in series for 8 ohms so that I can set my amplifier gain higher and I get a bit more output and it sounds very clean too. I can actually raise the gain just a little further to get more power to my subwoofers when they are run in series and its still clean no distortion. it shakes the house rattles the windows with just two 250W RMS 12" subwoofers in a cheap 34hz tuned subwoofer box (1.8 cubic feet per subwoofer)
i get more battery life that way too with my subwoofers in series and its just as loud. and they dont get warm when i feel the dustcap with them in series
the batteries seem pretty good after charging them up they work fantastically for the price of free!

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.