SMPS power supply mods?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In linear power supplies, we've often seen mods like snubber diodes, bypass capacitors, zener current sources, faster soft recovery diodes etc.
Are there any well tested mods than can be applied to Switch Mode Power Supplies?
BEAR IN MIND THAT THESE SUPPLIES CAN KILL YOU-they often generate 300-400V

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
On a totally different tack and depending on the 'quality' of the SMPS I would look over all soldered joints paying particular attention to heavier parts such as wound components and larger semiconductors and would not hesitate to reflow a board that looked as if it might develop issues a few years down the line.

The brand and general look of any electrolytics fitted would determine whether I would replace them as a matter of course with known top quality items, or whether I deem the original choice the manufacturer fitted as being suitable.

I fully agree with the other postings. Unless you really know SMPS design well, don't try to modify ("improve") them. Consider them "black boxes".
One thing you may do, however, is adding low ESR capacitance between the output terminals. A little for a start, if OK more. It may reduce voltage ripple and improve load step response. On the other hand, further capacitance may also bring the SMPS regulation loop to oscillate or have less good dynamic properties, depending on the design of the SMPS.

If not already shielded by a metallic enclosure, put one around it but WATCH OUT FOR PROPER INSULATION DISTANCES!

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.