L-Adapter

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi everyone,

Still trying to read through all fifty pages of this thread... :)

I ought to be able to power my RPi through the 5VDC connector on the HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro, correct?

Datasheet DAC+ Pro | HiFiBerry

Is there any reason to not use a two pin header connector? I have some with beefy wire from a few past Pi projects.

Thanks!

Looks like it should work, states connected in parallel, although I don't have personal experience with the HiFiBerry. Shoot a message to the HiFiBerry people just to make sure there's no hidden trap or limitation.

Hi Salas,
I have an idea to power my F6 amp at 2 x 1.7A/rail - by using the recent lt4320 fet bridge on the inputs (replacing the side diodes) and a bit of 'stuffing around, I can use 1 brd for +24v rail and the other brd for the -24 rail but each transistors will need to get rid of perhaps 25W per rail so locating the bigger heatsink is a problem

Is it possible to use longer wires (maybe 60mm) to mount the TO-247 pass transistor off board on a bigger heatsink without losing circuit performance?

Thanks for the very quick reply

I have seen the "Smooth Like Butta" boards with quite long leads and surprisingly, it doesn't appear to create any problems but I'll try for the "pcb to heatsink" direct connection as designed first and maybe play around with variations later on.

The current Cap multiplier drops about 3 volts across the pass transistor so the L-Adapter is only about twice that (curiously, about the same as the AMB Sigma 22 regulator) - it'll be interesting to see what difference it makes ...

snip
Is it possible to use longer wires (maybe 60mm) to mount the TO-247 pass transistor off board on a bigger heatsink without losing circuit performance?

As Salas says devices can be mounted horizontally with insulation to a single large heatsink...I placed mine from below, marked, drilled and mounted then soldered them as the final step.

I am only using a single board for a 19.5v supply for a Thinclient and it runs fine.

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attachments/power-supplies/787911d1571127106-adapter-set-jpg

Attachments

• _mount.JPG
    _mount.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 463