L-Adapter

One more Allo device with L-Adapter PSU. Just finished its assembly and initial test. Did not connect my USB DAC to it yet for SQ comparison, but planning to do that next week. All Raspberry Pi related functions are working and Volumio player application is functioning well (again, DAC is not connected yet).

Running 5.15V and that is enough voltage/current to run my USBridge Signature it with 2.5" HD connected.

Hi,
Nice box. Where did you buy it?
Thanks
Antônio

Attachments

• TT speed.jpg
    TT speed.jpg
    561.9 KB · Views: 408
hello folks.
do I need to use some sort of heat conducting paste between the diodes and sinks? and/or get a nut & bolt to join them tightly?
I plan on using them on a pi3 and a diyinhk xmos multichannel board for which I have ordered a cheap 9v/30VA torroidal trafo - does the serialising of the 115v primaries for UK 230v have any effect on the secondaries? ie. am I still going to get ~2x 1.66A @9v from them?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi

You surely need to tighten the semiconductors on the sinks. Don't overdo it. Finger tight force should be enough. M3 size nuts and bolts. Your Pi3 should not command an external heatsinking solution for this PSU. The board level sinks are enough. Because those sinks are not electrically connected between them you may avoid the tedious task of also insulating the semiconductors with Silpads and nylon grommets.

Given you will remember not to allow contact of the on-board live sinks to a metal surface or metal box. Also no wires should be touching them.

No insulation pads when able also means less thermal resistance. Its the builder's evaluation choice if fully safe in his planed circumstances of installation. And yes, a bit of thermal paste on a near center spot behind each semiconductor's tab on a sink is very good to use. As you tight them surfaces together it spreads flat going where it should. Smoothing out micro anomalies of the mating metal surfaces thus boosting heat travel between them.

To serialize the 115V primaries for double mains level between US and Europe has no effect to the power spec of the secondaries.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Just wanted to write a note of thanks to Salas and Teabag for this fun project. I bought 4 boards from Teabag, ordered a bag of parts from Mouser, and spent an afternoon this past weekend putting them together. I tested them with a small 5v transformer and all of them worked perfectly. Now I just need to get some bigger VA transformers and put them to work.
Thanks again.

Attachments

• 4 Boards.jpg
    4 Boards.jpg
    337 KB · Views: 391
  • 5v Board.jpg
    5v Board.jpg
    349.7 KB · Views: 390
Last edited:
Just wanted to write a note of thanks to Salas and Teabag for this fun project. I bought 4 boards from Teabag, ordered a bag of parts from Mouser, and spent an afternoon this past weekend putting them together. I tested them with a small 5v transformer and all of them worked perfectly. Now I just need to get some bigger VA transformers and put them to work.
Thanks again.
Nice work!
Can you post the order number from this heatshink?

Attachments

• 4 Boards  l adapter.jpg
    4 Boards l adapter.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 413