L-Adapter

Hi, guys,
For years I have been using a powerbank to feed Raspeberry Pi, as I found sonic performance MUCH better than with its original wallwart power supply. But a friend of mine has been telling me this linear power supply gave his system much better performance comparing to battery or an ifi power supply.

I do not have knowledge about electronics, so I would like to make a question, if you can help me: I was wondering if I can feed this power supply with a battery (this one, for example: Cncool 12V 12000mah lithium battery Rechargeable DC battery polymer batteria For monitor motor LED light outdoor spare Battery-in Rechargeable Batteries from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group). Possible?

Thanks,
João

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi, you can skip using a power transformer and bridge diodes in this linear supply and feed DC directly to its reservoir capacitors from an external DC source like a battery bank. Thick not longer than necessary cables from battery to the pins of first big capacitor will do. Just watch the polarity.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Well, there will be no ripple to reject so theoretically its a plus. On the other hand the battery has to be recharged. Every time it goes down to 7.5V recharge it. Because 2.5V difference from DC input to DC output is the minimum good difference in this design.

When you will double or triple the plate's surface area, plus it will be bolted to the chassis, the temperature should moderate a lot. Be generous with the plate's size. Because there are no fins.

There is a threshold in the sinking solutions after it they become saturated. When below that saturation threshold the temperature loses 10-15C kind of abruptly. Watch to have some top and bottom ventilation slots or holes in the final assembly.

what might be the optimal usage of case as a heatsink here?

1. Attach diodes and Q2 to inner sides? Forget about aluminum plate.
2. Attach them to 1cm aluminum plate and then screw it to the bottom lid?
3. Some better option?

case is 28 x 13 x 4 cm; aluminum plate is 12 x 10 x 1 cm

Attachments

• Attachment1.jpg
    Attachment1.jpg
    466.3 KB · Views: 395
  • Attachment2.jpg
    Attachment2.jpg
    499.9 KB · Views: 397
  • Attachment1(1).jpg
    Attachment1(1).jpg
    563.7 KB · Views: 392