Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

L-Adapter
L-Adapter
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st April 2019, 12:19 PM   #31
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

L-Adapter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malefoda View Post
Man!
Still in Black!
I would like it black yes
Old 21st April 2019, 02:06 PM   #32
massimo is offline massimo  Italy
diyAudio Member

Being a several amps capable series power supply, I wonder if a negative rail can be done.
The BJTs have complementary devices and the LM334 can be turned upsidedown, I guess.
A bit more juice (up, let's say, to 24V) will be perfect for small power amps...
Old 21st April 2019, 10:12 PM   #33
schiirrn is offline schiirrn  Germany
diyAudio Member

I just built one. 11V input from a SMPS, LC at the output and into the Ghetto-L-Adapater.
5V out at 500mA takes about 6 minutes to stabilize (could be the fresh elcos) and stays really stable then. Ripple is hard to measure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LAdapter.JPG (907.7 KB, 548 views)
Old 21st April 2019, 10:31 PM   #34
diyAudio Chief Moderator

L-Adapter
Quote:
Originally Posted by massimo View Post
Being a several amps capable series power supply, I wonder if a negative rail can be done.
The BJTs have complementary devices and the LM334 can be turned upsidedown, I guess.
A bit more juice (up, let's say, to 24V) will be perfect for small power amps...
A negative rail is technically possible I believe. More output just takes higher value VR1.
Old 22nd April 2019, 02:09 AM   #35
diyAudio Chief Moderator

L-Adapter
Quote:
Originally Posted by schiirrn View Post
I just built one. 11V input from a SMPS, LC at the output and into the Ghetto-L-Adapater.
5V out at 500mA takes about 6 minutes to stabilize (could be the fresh elcos) and stays really stable then. Ripple is hard to measure.
Congrats. How many mV difference your build makes in six minutes? Have you got a bleeder resistor across the output (R1)? Helps with output cap charge and setting up. Mine is boring, I set it for 10.35V on 250mA e-load to watch it over time, its doing 20-30mV change for cold set and forget thermal equilibrium. Warmed up for long, on/off, or cold on. Uses Chemi-Con KY C1 C2. Here is the loaded start up capture also. No over-voltage spike, linear climb & stable early plateau. Each horizontal division is one second in time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190422_040533.jpg (332.0 KB, 511 views)
File Type: png DS2_QuickPrint3.png (23.7 KB, 533 views)
Old 22nd April 2019, 01:22 PM   #36
schiirrn is offline schiirrn  Germany
diyAudio Member

Thanks. I do use a 1k bleeder. Currently I use a pretty big heatsink (I wasn't sure about what was needed and just picked one that seemed ok and was on hand). Difference is about 30mV. I let it run for 4h today and checked what happened with a change in load. Drawing 800mA voltage was 5.067V, switching to a draw of 400mA it went to 5.088V. It went to 5.081 first and climbed to 5.088 over 8 seconds and then stayed there.
Unfortunately I didn't store the data of the logger of the benchtop meter. If it is of interest I could repeat that and post the log.

Caps are Nichicon Muse, 220uF 50V, again I used what was in the drawer.

Last edited by schiirrn; 22nd April 2019 at 01:22 PM. Reason: typo...
Old 22nd April 2019, 01:26 PM   #37
diyAudio Chief Moderator

L-Adapter
So same difference we got. Your Vo change between loads also confirms the Zo spec. Which is not bad for a non reactive non error amp design. Will end up to about 0.02Ω at higher currents. Output cables loss will dominate at such consumption levels.
Old 22nd April 2019, 01:36 PM   #38
diyAudio Chief Moderator

L-Adapter
Quote:
Originally Posted by schiirrn View Post
Caps are Nichicon Muse, 220uF 50V, again I used what was in the drawer.
They are OK. 50V caps have better spec. There is 10mm diameter allowance on the board anyway. So it ate all the source PSU's scope visible switching noises? What will be its client circuit to power?
Old 22nd April 2019, 05:46 PM   #39
sumeshak is offline sumeshak
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salas View Post
It's ready. Next GB. It could probably be likeable enough but its main strength is Swiss Army knife linear PSU.
Will this L adapter outperform LT3042 in noise performance?
Old 22nd April 2019, 06:31 PM   #40
diyAudio Chief Moderator

L-Adapter
I don't think so, LTspice is optimistic. Its good for many Watts though not for just 200mA.

L-AdapterHide this!Advertise here!