L-Adapter

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Don't worry about the max RMS gen output, you may set 1.5VRMS to same experimental effect as to my examples effect. The transformer ratios will manifest the same. What you want is enough signal at the secondaries for the scope channels to capture two clean synchronized sinewaves.

Hello,
can something like this be made for -ve voltage?
especially lm334 connections ok?

regards
prasi

Attachments

• salas -ve rail.png
    salas -ve rail.png
    6.8 KB · Views: 440
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
First thing that strikes me wrong in your schematic is the LM334's pin 2 should connect R1' to pin 3. Don't know about the rest. Without practical development, parts comparisons, electrical & subjective tests, I can't predict some equivalent spec compatible sounding negative.

But there is also another way. Two regular positive guaranteed identical L-Adapters can be connected up like batteries for dual polarity output with midpoint common. The official boards already have independent own bridge rectifiers and reservoir capacitors. They would also need dual independent AC secondaries for dual polarity setup. Not necessarily dual independent transformers.

741-9v.gif

Alright. Good luck and keep us posted.

Here is a completed one. Using the Kingbright DC10-YWA instead of the specc'ed DC10-EWA, CDE 6800uF capacitors, all onboard heatsinks and a 12VAC transformer (70VA) to deliver 5.1v for a RPi4.

uqMqHVN.jpg

Stable for hours, doesn't get very hot - could be that it is outside of a box, as well as the fact that my RPi4 has no HAT's and no external USB devices - running only Ropieee for a Roon Endpoint solution.

Looking for a suitable heatsink (or I will have to machine one) so that I can fit this in a 1U box with the proper standoffs.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Yes 500mA is not much. Means only 1.25W dissipation for 2.5V across Q2. Just have a thick enough case with ventilation holes placed in a way to aid air circulation through it. It should thermally support those relatively light running L-A's without drama.

You can parallel all. I thought you might had meant four wires. Parallel in right phase. Else it will get hot fast and ultimately destroyed.
It takes a scope to confirm sinewaves match in timing.
When without a scope, start with two secondaries, if not getting hot add another then another. If getting hot reverse one in each move.

Hi

Back in my post #573, I received the trafo shown in the photo and not the ad
description, 0-115-220-SCN 4 wires.

I’m in the US and need 115VAC. I am outta luck here?
The SCN is just screen to earth ground for noise reduction? It is not
an actual tap?

I would think if I connect 115V to the two 220 red wires, then
secondaries only 4.5V. Series would bring it to 9V but not enough
current. :-(