Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

L-Adapter
L-Adapter
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th April 2019, 01:14 PM   #21
Tea-Bag is offline Tea-Bag  United States
not politcally affiliated
diyAudio Member

L-Adapter
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekr View Post
Now thatís quick work, sir! Thanks, appreciate the effort. Will it be sold complete with parts - or a mini kit? Any idea of pricing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salas View Post
That's Tea's area of expertise. Ask him later on.
If you want to private message me feedback on what you are looking for for parts that will help with making a minikit. Generally transistors are given a priority. If a few resistors prove hard to find without a GB that can be done too.

Caps and heatsinks I would shy away from, and avoid a full kit. Full kits shipped internationally has become a expensive problem as they all have to ship as packages now via USPS. That starts at 24.00 USD.

Sorry for off topic. But if want to help form a kit feedback is welcome.
I have gotten tons of request for something that would power a Raspberry Pi, so I think this will be a handy board for that and other low voltage high current digital products.
Old 18th April 2019, 11:02 PM   #22
savvas is offline savvas  Greece
diyAudio Member

What's the noise figures for 3A consumption with something like 2.5 - 3 V dropout ?
There are quite few competitors for Raspberry but not so many for an audio-PC (40-80W)
What's the difference in consumption vs a normal PC-psu ?

I have an linear power supply (LT1083 / picoPSU) for my audio-PC and I was thinking of LT1763 for my Tinker board, probably hardwired (I should have finished it by now). I think L-adapter feels the bill as well but most probably it will go through the normal period of the GB so it will take the place of a contender.I like it's simplicity
Old 19th April 2019, 12:44 PM   #23
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

L-Adapter
V(onoise) in LTspice says 187.4nV Rms (1.5 μV pk-pk) integrated over 1Hz to 1MHz for C1=220uF. Practically you get what you see in post#1's scope pic (blue line). Includes the attenuated ripple and scope noise plus probing imperfections. Was shot at high current draw near 3A. Its for 20MHz scope integration though and the load isn't ideal. Its a micro controlled soldering iron that possibly back emits noises of its own. A computer would also do so or worst through its DC/DC converters of course.

Linear PSUs typically have an efficiency of 60%. Getting better when fitted with very good regulation transformer and SiC Schottky Diodes. But even when with minimal Vin-Vout LDOs they will not exceed 75%. Good PC switchers are 80-85% efficient on average these days.

The L-Adapter style PSU in my subjective experience can be substantially more dynamic, more spatial, cleaner and smoother, than LM317 and LT1083 when used for powering analog circuits but I don't know if that will have any relevance to powering audio server computers and the like. My Class-D SMSL desktop amp sounded surely cleaner with it nonetheless.
Old 19th April 2019, 05:09 PM   #24
kurand is offline kurand  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Is there something wrong with the circuit diagram around the LM334? I don't see it's 3rd connexion and R2 is not shown? I can see R2's label, but not its connexions.
Old 19th April 2019, 06:55 PM   #25
nashbap is offline nashbap  United States
diyAudio Member

Subscribed
Old 19th April 2019, 07:23 PM   #26
massimo is offline massimo  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurand View Post
Is there something wrong with the circuit diagram around the LM334? I don't see it's 3rd connexion and R2 is not shown? I can see R2's label, but not its connexions.
Yes, the schematic is a bit simplified Check LM334 datasheet how to connect R2, quite easy

Last edited by massimo; 19th April 2019 at 07:26 PM.
Old 21st April 2019, 06:36 AM   #27
jimk04 is offline jimk04  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Will be interested in a GB for this to power my Rpi and Dac hat.
Old 21st April 2019, 12:00 PM   #28
Malefoda is offline Malefoda  France
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Malefoda
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimk04 View Post
Will be interested in a GB for this to power my Rpi and Dac hat.
moOde Audio and you're good to go
BTW Salas, will that be SiB? It's mandatory.
Old 21st April 2019, 12:16 PM   #29
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

L-Adapter
What you mean by SiB?
Old 21st April 2019, 12:18 PM   #30
Malefoda is offline Malefoda  France
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Malefoda
Man!
Still in Black!

L-AdapterHide this!Advertise here!