L-Adapter

thanks for helping :)
it's 5.9vdc across 1n4007. Ambient C is about 25-27c. The trafo is pretty warm I would say, but not hot. Unfotunately do not have any other to test with. Might it be less hotrod with 30VA toroid, for instance?

You've mentioned earlier << 50VA trafo (14vac 3.57A), configured to 12vdc to feed Mytek Brooklyn Bridge >>... A proper heatsink is needed anyway (and it would help if the trafo would supply, say, 12 Vac). The 50VA spec is fine but the trafo should not get that 'pretty warm'... maybe there is something not quite right about the trafo build IMHO...

Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
5.9V * 1.75A makes 10.325W dissipation on Q2. So its not weird a down facing medium size mounting plate reaches about 65C after all. Based on your temp numbers the plate's heating rate is roughly 4C/W right now. If the voltage drop was 3V the dissipation would halve. Something near 45C would be expected.

Otherwise if the 10x12xcm 1cm thick plate grew twice in surface area it should behave much better with the original dissipation.

(1.75A load I presume because Mytek Brooklyn Bridge's manual says 21W @ 12V DC so 21/12=1.75. It also says 23-28VA consumption from 230V AC, so your original question of why 33VA from the wall with the L-Adapter finds a clearer answer from your Tx warm up report. I.e. its not too great a difference in apparent consumption from an SMPS adapter considering the linear losses. Only the toroid's warm up loss should account for the best part of the difference. Thus nothing untoward about the 33VA your wall meter displayed).

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
You've mentioned earlier << 50VA trafo (14vac 3.57A), configured to 12vdc to feed Mytek Brooklyn Bridge >>... A proper heatsink is needed anyway (and it would help if the trafo would supply, say, 12 Vac). The 50VA spec is fine but the trafo should not get that 'pretty warm'... maybe there is something not quite right about the trafo build IMHO...

The Brooklyn seems not to ever ask for less than 1.25A DC so its not too little constant for a relatively high regulation 50VA core ordinary component. The wall meter says 33VA and the Tx is 50VA, thus "pretty warm" ain't that an unexpected description when we think about it again. If below 45C it will have a descent life.

@dtses
Is there a chance its a dual secondary trafo that that hasn't been yet paralleled? Such a scenario would have it behaving like a 25VA and get too warm indeed.

@dtses
Is there a chance its a dual secondary trafo that that hasn't been yet paralleled? Such a scenario would have it behaving like a 25VA and get too warm indeed.

nope, it's only one secondary. Actually it's a new trafo I bought specially for L adapter. Nothing should be wrong here. I will try to get another heatsink and see how it will cope with the heat.

My idea was to fit everything in this case (218*115*50mm), however now I see that even with a solid plate attached to the top of the case with Q2, it still might be not enough...:eek:

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
When you will double or triple the plate's surface area, plus it will be bolted to the chassis, the temperature should moderate a lot. Be generous with the plate's size. Because there are no fins.

There is a threshold in the sinking solutions after it they become saturated. When below that saturation threshold the temperature loses 10-15C kind of abruptly. Watch to have some top and bottom ventilation slots or holes in the final assembly.

Joined 2018
Paid Member
L-Ad > 3 x Lt1963 > Rpi

Having taken inspiration from here

3x powersupply for rpi : Raspberry Pi - Page 5 • RuneAudio Forum

I thought I may do something similar.....in powering the 1.8v......3.3v.....and 5 volt requirement of the Rpi (not the dac) from 3 regulators of LT1963 fed from the L-Ad running as pre reg .

Does this sound a good idea......I'm not causing noise by using a lesser reg (Lt1963) after the beautiful Salas item?

I'm building a couple of L-adapters (and have to say the boards are magnificent!)
The first is for a Raspberry Pi using the standard BOM. Though I do have some electrolytics in the spares box.
They're 5600mF rather than the 6800 on the BOM and not 105c rated.
So, presume capacity is fine for the Pi and as I have a rather large case I thought to mount them from the underside of the board and thus away from the heating.... sound workable ?

Thanks to both.... I have metal-film 47R 0.6W so shall use those in the interim for the Pi build.

Hopefully the Vishay may arrive before I commence the 'monster 19v thinclient" build...'
Yes 20.5v @ 6.4A ........ power supply and heatsink off a subwoofer rescued from the local 'tip-shop'....... 'untested electrical' @ $3 (US equivalent)

Attachments

• DSCF1691.JPG
    DSCF1691.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 445
  • DSCF1694.JPG
    DSCF1694.JPG
    246.1 KB · Views: 449
  • DSCF1696.JPG
    DSCF1696.JPG
    204.3 KB · Views: 447
Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
There was a GB in June. Ask Tea-Bag if he's got any leftovers. When having a Teddyreg already and its output current covers your applications it should be more than good enough quality wise for powering digital gear like mini PCs and the like.

For this L-A one some people here say its subjectively pretty good regardless its mainly designed towards being simplest so to be reliably powerful. Its not like a Teddy which is a much more complex reg & active filter combination. L-A is all in one stage low parts count more powerful package. Currently Teddy's based on a NOS Toshiba JFET also that takes caution not to fall victim of fake parts circulation. I don't know if anybody in this thread has a Teddy to directly compare subjective results in a suitable application.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Parts arriving today with the exception of the Vishay thin-film .6w 51.1R.

Mouser have no stock and can't advise when these will be available again.

How critical is the thin-film requirement ? Can I sub a metal film for use until Mouser supply the correct part ?

This is kind of my bad.
I put in the BOM spreadsheet I created based what I am shipping, not necessarily an easy order list, although that is the intention. This resistor does appear now to be back ordered.

I put Salas notes below and highlighted them. I can add some good alternates in a separate section if people have trouble making decision on some alternatives, but generally the less words, less parts listed, less confusion.

There was a GB in June. Ask Tea-Bag if he's got any leftovers. When having a Teddyreg already and its output current covers your applications it should be more than good enough quality wise for powering digital gear like mini PCs and the like.

For this L-A one some people here say its subjectively pretty good regardless its mainly designed towards being simplest so to be reliably powerful. Its not like a Teddy which is a much more complex reg & active filter combination. L-A is all in one stage low parts count more powerful package. Currently Teddy's based on a NOS Toshiba JFET also that takes caution not to fall victim of fake parts circulation. I don't know if anybody in this thread has a Teddy to directly compare subjective results in a suitable application.

Thanks.