L-Adapter

Rpi4......very exciting news!
The required input voltage is now 5.1V / 3A.
I guess it will be awhile before the existing music players like Moode and Volumio update their apps for all the new features.
I don’t see any info about the clocks or anything specifically for audio.

Rpi4......very exciting news!
The required input voltage is now 5.1V / 3A.
I guess it will be awhile before the existing music players like Moode and Volumio update their apps for all the new features.
I don’t see any info about the clocks or anything specifically for audio.

Yep Moode will take a while to shift to Buster based Raspbian therefore the RPi4 support.

They would up the max current spec to support its USB 3.0 sockets anyway I guess. Maybe it will prove not very much hungrier than RPi3 when without heavy peripherals.

Twice my Pi2B :'(
Raspberry-Pi-4B-Power-Usage-table

Last edited:
28% hungrier than Pi3B+ during boot in that chart

But still under 1amp if used as a music server without USB appendages. Encouraging.

Dimitrios, it must be the weekend in your sunny part of the world by now - surely you bounced out of bed, hooked up The LAd (new name for L-Adapter) to your Pi4 and can report.

Oh, okay, have your second cup of coffee before reporting.....

But still under 1amp if used as a music server without USB appendages. Encouraging.

Dimitrios, it must be the weekend in your sunny part of the world by now - surely you bounced out of bed, hooked up The LAd (new name for L-Adapter) to your Pi4 and can report.

Oh, okay, have your second cup of coffee before reporting.....

The fact is that I found out the hard way last night that:

1) I don't have a micro HDMI cable (I thought I did but it turned out to be a mini HDMI)

2) Raspbian by default has SSH disabled, and

3) Raspbian by default has its UART disabled

So for now I have literally no way "into" the RPi.

I need to go shopping..

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2019-06-29 11-06-30.png
    Screenshot from 2019-06-29 11-06-30.png
    31.5 KB · Views: 538
This pi4 looks pretty cool
As anyone setons up for audio ? I’m thinking of getting the full kit and try building it for a car audio system with video and all
This way I can install one of my hard drives full of audio and video. What programs would be good for this?
I know I’m off topic with this

This pi4 looks pretty cool
As anyone setons up for audio ? I’m thinking of getting the full kit and try building it for a car audio system with video and all
This way I can install one of my hard drives full of audio and video. What programs would be good for this?
I know I’m off topic with this

...so, for keeping this thread clean, you may find some inspiration here:

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pc-based/

Back to the subject…
I discussed with Salas and tested alternative to BOM components related to the raw DC side of L-adapter.
Once again, GB has an excellent choices for BOM and I have no any doubts about quality of all these parts there.
However, I see a lot of discussions around these new SiC (Silicon Carbide or Carborundum) devices and decided to test them by myself.
These are what I decided to try:
1. Electrolytic capacitors: LGY1H103MELB50 Nichicon | Mouser
2. Rectifier diodes: IDH04G65C6XKSA1 Infineon Technologies | Mouser
Vf of these SiC rectifiers are bit higher than what is on GB BOM (25 deg C: FFPF30UP20STU1.15V vs. IDH04G65C6XKSA1  1.25V). So, they are running little bit warmer. I use 65mm tall sinks and still did not exceed 38 deg C with about 23 deg C ambient (whole night run).
Caps are also bigger than EPCOS in our BOM. As you see via my link, it is 10k uF Nichicon. They just max-big enough to fit into PCB by Dia. 105 deg C, but not a big concerns about to be too close to sinks since I’m running relatively cool. D11 across V is changed to 5.06V compare to 6.2V observed with BOM diodes. However, it is still nice margin there (need to keep it above 2.5V).
Well, about sound: I like it. It seems subjectively I have more air in sound. If some of you will run these SiC rectifiers, then also please update us about your personal findings.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Thanks for your feedback. The GB rectification section's BOM was selected as electrically efficient in priority and it proves so. Specialty bridge diodes and different types or values for filtering reservoir caps can somehow change the subjectives of course. Up to the builder's own choice and satisfaction.