Too much power?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok. I have two solid state mono amps that someone gave me. New/unused. In my small shop here at home I also have a transformer from a PS Audio 100c. It appears to be a 110vac / 40-0-40 / +/-58vdc setup. HOWEVER, I want to know can I replace the bridge rect and the caps and reduce my dc voltage to use on my new mono boards? They call for a maximum of +/-45vdc @ 2.5 amp. Bottom line ........ can I use this transformer to supply these boards? The transformer has dual outputs for 2x mono amps.

By the way. Those are the specs on the power supply. The actual voltages measured at idle were 44-0-44 and +/- 60 vdc.

As such you can. The +/-60Vdc have to be converted to around 40Vdc-42Vdc. That is a lot for a linear regulator with that current. You will most likely need a Buck converter. The best would be a Buck converter (down to around 45Vdc) followed by a linear post-regulator (taking the remaining drop).

However, it may not be cheaper than buying a new transformer.

Alternatively you need a pre-transformer to reduce the primary voltage. It is less expensive than buying a new transformer.

NB: Is your net voltage (wall plugs) 110/115V or 230/240V?

Last edited:
Ok. I have two solid state mono amps that someone gave me. New/unused. In my small shop here at home I also have a transformer from a PS Audio 100c. It appears to be a 110vac / 40-0-40 / +/-58vdc setup. HOWEVER, I want to know can I replace the bridge rect and the caps and reduce my dc voltage to use on my new mono boards? They call for a maximum of +/-45vdc @ 2.5 amp. Bottom line ........ can I use this transformer to supply these boards? The transformer has dual outputs for 2x mono amps.

You can, technically, but it´s more complex/expensive than either getting a couple modules which stand higher voltage or a lower voltage rated transformer.

Not sure about your "junk box" contents but you may pull and use a transformer from any dead/abandoned/junked amplifier, say 60 to 120W per channel , which will have , say, +/- 36 to 42V rails.
Free or for a couple bucks, maybe $20 if a garage sale or Salvation Army special.

Or visit your friendly local Tech and ask for abandoned non repaired stuff.
Lots of people reject estimates, abandon stuff and buy new instead, .... don´t ask me how I know :mad:

Hi
If your transformer is over sized (in VA rating) for your project, you could buck 24 volts off of the primary using another 24V transformer secondary. Just make sure the 24V transformer can handle the primary current. Running the primary at about 88VAC should output 32-0-32.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.