Powerful SMPS for tube ampifier

1) WELCOME to the Forum :)

2) CONGRATULATIONS on your advanced project. :cheers:

Yes, there are some details to correct.
Yes, please be careful when dealing with Mains voltages, follow all safety rules

3) I WONDER why when the OP offers to share his work, politely asking if somebody might be interested in seeing it, he is suggested instead to "buy some E Bay supplies" :eek: ??????????????????

Including a 5W one ??????????????????

Well thank you very much, I have been working on this since yeah I said it like a milion times- transformers are not cheap and heavy-not practical. And switching supplies these days came a long way and I want to make something that will be able to power a amplifier of a bigger calibre, like 10-20-50 or even up to 100W with the mains powered version. Something unavaible and non existing because of the really the best noise performance possible.

Some people have probably not read the full thing and thats where they got lost in what I actually wanted to know and or show or offer. There isnt really such an extreme amounth of electricians in audio groups that do know other than hooking up cable to terminals. I worked on a lot of projects either for proper industrial grade devices, or just some homebrew fun stuff. This is suposed to be both.

CatererpliarSK, post #4 indicates the level of development of your step-up dc/dc. Post #13 indicates your assessment of why you don't believe your converter would be useful for your target 100W B+ output capability.

Your 70% efficiency performance indicates that you may have chosen an incompatible topology for starters, as well as there may be some switch and transformer related choices that could be improved on.

One similar isolated converter had efficiency of circa 92% at 40W output, indicating the power conversion path with an appropriate topology and parts is unlikely to be a roadblock that would force a need to change to a mains input converter to get to the 100W target.
'150W' 12VDC isolated 25kHz step-up smps for B+

Again. The switching frequency of that one comercial suply is too low. And I dont believe that it is capacle of 150W constant. Neither I believe it has its noise performance any good.

Its a flyback topology, just like any switching supply that boosts the voltage from such a low to such a high voltage. Mine works on the same principal.

I have re read post 13 and I cant see where would I have said that it wont be usefull. I dont know what is your problem constantly whinining about some chinese supplies that are for 12V. All I see is the low effort to make the output clean. Also I want to make it mains powered because nobody in their right mind who is serious about tube amplifiers is going to power it entirely with 12V. Also the mains version is suposed to be smaller, way smaller.

Im blown away by the fact that you say "one similar isolated converter" when you have not even seen the schematic of mine nor its layout or functional diagram and you immediately treat it like its copied.

The main reason why I said that I dont believe that my PSU will be useless is because poeple have that constant stigma about switching power supplies, but i hope one day, it will be treated better than just a Nixie power supply or magic eye power supply.

Those Chinese supplies the Trobbins mentioned are perfectly fine. I use them for phono! There is no noise on the audio from the power supply. It's good for 150W continuous if you use a fan and run it in open air. Inside a 75c box with no ventilation, it's good for about 40W. The coil is the weak point IMHO. I ran one hot enough to melt it. Only one failed out of 10 I've bought, and that was destructive testing to see what it was actually capable of.

I guess I'm not in my right mind then. I have built a 100WPC amp powered from 12V ATX that powered one of these: 500W 12VDC transfer 18VAC & 0-220v-380v inverter module | eBay which is a very good supply for the record. I would like a supply just like this but powered from 120VAC instead of 12VDC

Bonus is you can run it from a car battery for 30 minutes or so :p

My problem with 12V ATX as I said is it's large format. The case needs to be 4 inches tall, my amps are usually 2 inch high. Also, a fanless ATX supply is expensive. Who wants a fan in an audio system?

This is why a small format, dumb switch mode supply at 50-100kHz makes sense to me. By dumb I mean there is no feedback, it's open loop like a linear supply. Rectify 120V, switch it into a transformer with MOSFETs or IGBTs, and rectify the secondary. Use with an RC timed circuit to drive the switches, or base it on a 2 pin crystal. No IC.

Last edited:
Of course not. His prototype runs from 12V and makes HV like some of these Chinese designs, no?

My first flyback supply melted the plastic on its transistor.

It's called the low voltage directive.

The Low Voltage Directive (LVD) | Internal Market, Industry, Entrepreneurship and SMEs

I get that you can buy something off e-bay that can kill you... actually I don't.

However if you wish to, legitimately, stick your head above the parapet you, rightly, have to deal with such stuff.

The question might be whether, on this forum, best effort applies. I kind of doubt it.

Glad I'm in Canada... LVD doesn't supply although we have our own rules...

Not really the point is it.

CaterpilerSK built a working thing and you have a wish list.

I would not touch me with a ten foot pole but given this is valve stuff and you tube heads just love your CLC CRC LCLCLCR filters..

Power Factor Corrected Current Fed Boost Convertor.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2019-04-05 20-08-27.png
    Screenshot from 2019-04-05 20-08-27.png
    51.6 KB · Views: 578
Not really the point is it.

CaterpilerSK built a working thing and you have a wish list.

I would not touch me with a ten foot pole but given this is valve stuff and you tube heads just love your CLC CRC LCLCLCR filters..

Power Factor Corrected Current Fed Boost Convertor.

The real point if after all those filters all you end up is very little power no regulation and a huge PCB or area used up by the filter. My supply has a regulated output thats kept stable, no doublers, straight from the switching transformer. But I see nobody cares, everyone keeps telling me but the chinese supply even tho it has nowhere near as many featres as mine.

Apologising for my language in advance but I just couldnt anymore.

So after all the replys about "just go buy the shitty chinese supplies" I was choking on, Im considering on giving up the entire thing as is. Even tho my supply would be all good in the end and wont polute mains, would have isolated and regulated output, everyone just keeps telling me to buy those shitty chinese power supplies even tho they dont quite do the same as I want. So I might just give up entire amp project and leave my amp as is because this really got me sick of everything. I was hoping at least oe would like my idea and bring it to life to see but seems like people have different stuff on their mind. Afterall..who am I to make something new, a 17years old student? Nah cant know anything I must be dumb as ****. Cant look serious enough for noone to believe me. I probably just should go to the bar and get drunk like others in my age category and loose my brain.

Those shitty Chinese supplies all run from 12V. I'd be interested in a supply like that that ran from mains instead of 12V. You said the only difference is the coil. I say the entire front end of the supply needs to be changed if it's to run from mains. A 55V MOSFET obviously will work fine for 12V but not 300V...

Those shitty Chinese supplies all run from 12V. I'd be interested in a supply like that that ran from mains instead of 12V. You said the only difference is the coil. I say the entire front end of the supply needs to be changed if it's to run from mains. A 55V MOSFET obviously will work fine for 12V but not 300V...

I explained in one of mine previous posts about the switching transistor. I see you read very few of what I wrote, shows me how much does one actually care. It specifically was about why I could not use a regular MOSFET and why I had to go with a overrated part. The original.MOSFET (IRLZ44) Is powerful enough but the body diode snubs all the reverse voltage that is induced by the colabsing magnetic field loading the transformer and transferring less energy to the secondary and heating the transistor, that is why I'm not worried about the front end because I use a G30N60 (30A 600V IGBT, I'd say that's enough for both mains and 12V operation.) The only issue it had was how to power the controller since with mains and not having anymore windings for the chip to be powered from the only left things are capacitive dividers and that ain't good for the powerfactor. Neither the longevity of the device because capacitors do fail in such applications. Saying that it is 100% universal I would have still designed a specific board for mains version because the 12V has problems and is unsuitable for mains operation. But decision has been made to halt the development of the PSU and I will put aside my entire vacuum tube project for an unknown time.

...But decision has been made to halt the development of the PSU and I will put aside my entire vacuum tube project for an unknown time.

Just because some guy you don't know did not jive with your enthusiasm? Think again! This is your baby, and it's an interesting one!

I just stumbled over this thread right now, and I totally like the idea of a flexible and high-quality SMPS that can be used in a variety of tube power amplifiers. Show us a schematic so that we can actually discuss your design.

Caterpillar This is part of your education - getting your patience tested by wolfpacks attacking other ways of doing things than what they use to. If your idea is actually usefull it could be indicating that they have not always used the optimal solution.

Keep in mind that this is the powersupply sektion, and people who hang around here, are more into supplys for other things than what you are in this case. Mixing smps with valves is also quite progressive for many☺

Keep patient, cause usually after some time, some competent members of the comunity usually comes by to give actual usefull suggestions to improve your design and correct errors

Last edited: