Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Powerful SMPS for tube ampifier
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd April 2019, 02:15 PM   #21
Guerilla is offline Guerilla  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Well said Fahey. Sometimes people comment without really reading or making an efford to understand the OP. I do sometimes when Im tired and or a little drunk.��
Old 3rd April 2019, 09:52 PM   #22
CaterpilarSK is offline CaterpilarSK  Slovakia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMFahey View Post
1) WELCOME to the Forum

2) CONGRATULATIONS on your advanced project.

Yes, there are some details to correct.
Yes, please be careful when dealing with Mains voltages, follow all safety rules

3) I WONDER why when the OP offers to share his work, politely asking if somebody might be interested in seeing it, he is suggested instead to "buy some E Bay supplies" ??????????????????

Including a 5W one ??????????????????
Well thank you very much, I have been working on this since yeah I said it like a milion times- transformers are not cheap and heavy-not practical. And switching supplies these days came a long way and I want to make something that will be able to power a amplifier of a bigger calibre, like 10-20-50 or even up to 100W with the mains powered version. Something unavaible and non existing because of the really the best noise performance possible.

Some people have probably not read the full thing and thats where they got lost in what I actually wanted to know and or show or offer. There isnt really such an extreme amounth of electricians in audio groups that do know other than hooking up cable to terminals. I worked on a lot of projects either for proper industrial grade devices, or just some homebrew fun stuff. This is suposed to be both.
Old 3rd April 2019, 10:49 PM   #23
trobbins is offline trobbins  Australia
diyAudio Member

CatererpliarSK, post #4 indicates the level of development of your step-up dc/dc. Post #13 indicates your assessment of why you don't believe your converter would be useful for your target 100W B+ output capability.

Your 70% efficiency performance indicates that you may have chosen an incompatible topology for starters, as well as there may be some switch and transformer related choices that could be improved on.

One similar isolated converter had efficiency of circa 92% at 40W output, indicating the power conversion path with an appropriate topology and parts is unlikely to be a roadblock that would force a need to change to a mains input converter to get to the 100W target.
'150W' 12VDC isolated 25kHz step-up smps for B+
Old 4th April 2019, 10:09 AM   #24
CaterpilarSK is offline CaterpilarSK  Slovakia
diyAudio Member

Again. The switching frequency of that one comercial suply is too low. And I dont believe that it is capacle of 150W constant. Neither I believe it has its noise performance any good.

Its a flyback topology, just like any switching supply that boosts the voltage from such a low to such a high voltage. Mine works on the same principal.

I have re read post 13 and I cant see where would I have said that it wont be usefull. I dont know what is your problem constantly whinining about some chinese supplies that are for 12V. All I see is the low effort to make the output clean. Also I want to make it mains powered because nobody in their right mind who is serious about tube amplifiers is going to power it entirely with 12V. Also the mains version is suposed to be smaller, way smaller.

Im blown away by the fact that you say "one similar isolated converter" when you have not even seen the schematic of mine nor its layout or functional diagram and you immediately treat it like its copied.

The main reason why I said that I dont believe that my PSU will be useless is because poeple have that constant stigma about switching power supplies, but i hope one day, it will be treated better than just a Nixie power supply or magic eye power supply.
Old 4th April 2019, 11:19 AM   #25
kodabmx is offline kodabmx  Canada
Spreading triode love.
diyAudio Member

Those Chinese supplies the Trobbins mentioned are perfectly fine. I use them for phono! There is no noise on the audio from the power supply. It's good for 150W continuous if you use a fan and run it in open air. Inside a 75c box with no ventilation, it's good for about 40W. The coil is the weak point IMHO. I ran one hot enough to melt it. Only one failed out of 10 I've bought, and that was destructive testing to see what it was actually capable of.

I guess I'm not in my right mind then. I have built a 100WPC amp powered from 12V ATX that powered one of these: 500W 12VDC transfer 18VAC & 0-220v-380v inverter module | eBay which is a very good supply for the record. I would like a supply just like this but powered from 120VAC instead of 12VDC

Bonus is you can run it from a car battery for 30 minutes or so :P

My problem with 12V ATX as I said is it's large format. The case needs to be 4 inches tall, my amps are usually 2 inch high. Also, a fanless ATX supply is expensive. Who wants a fan in an audio system?

This is why a small format, dumb switch mode supply at 50-100kHz makes sense to me. By dumb I mean there is no feedback, it's open loop like a linear supply. Rectify 120V, switch it into a transformer with MOSFETs or IGBTs, and rectify the secondary. Use with an RC timed circuit to drive the switches, or base it on a 2 pin crystal. No IC.

Last edited by kodabmx; 4th April 2019 at 11:32 AM.
Old 4th April 2019, 01:43 PM   #26
Guerilla is offline Guerilla  Denmark
diyAudio Member

I believe Caterpilar's efford is not so much about just making a 12volt supply
Old 4th April 2019, 03:38 PM   #27
Spreading triode love.
diyAudio Member

Of course not. His prototype runs from 12V and makes HV like some of these Chinese designs, no?
Old 5th April 2019, 02:25 PM   #28
MorbidFractal is offline MorbidFractal
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodabmx View Post
Of course not. His prototype runs from 12V and makes HV like some of these Chinese designs, no?
My first flyback supply melted the plastic on its transistor.

It's called the low voltage directive.

The Low Voltage Directive (LVD) | Internal Market, Industry, Entrepreneurship and SMEs

I get that you can buy something off e-bay that can kill you... actually I don't.

However if you wish to, legitimately, stick your head above the parapet you, rightly, have to deal with such stuff.

The question might be whether, on this forum, best effort applies. I kind of doubt it.
Old 5th April 2019, 02:55 PM   #29
Spreading triode love.
diyAudio Member

Glad I'm in Canada... LVD doesn't supply although we have our own rules...
Old 5th April 2019, 07:10 PM   #30
MorbidFractal is offline MorbidFractal
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodabmx View Post
Glad I'm in Canada... LVD doesn't supply although we have our own rules...
Not really the point is it.

CaterpilerSK built a working thing and you have a wish list.

I would not touch me with a ten foot pole but given this is valve stuff and you tube heads just love your CLC CRC LCLCLCR filters..

Power Factor Corrected Current Fed Boost Convertor.

Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot from 2019-04-05 20-08-27.png (51.6 KB, 153 views)

Powerful SMPS for tube ampifierHide this!Advertise here!