Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Powerful SMPS for tube ampifier
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st August 2020, 09:58 PM   #171
CaterpilarSK is offline CaterpilarSK  Slovakia
diyAudio Member

Unfortunately I came to a screeching halt in the advancements to get another complete and more powerfull redesign of my PSU.

Core reason being: inabillity to make a custom transformer.

I cant find any data or literature on how to make one and there seem to be less than 0 people who actually care to help me.

Manufacturers show me the middle finger not just in terms of actually manufacturing the custom part but also in terms of helping to design one. Nobody wants to help me not even give me the abillity to design one or give me the theory so this power supply is effectively a dead end.

To anyone in the future trying something mad like this: unless you can work with someone who has the knowledge just give it up. Nobody is gonna support you.
Old 31st August 2020, 10:24 PM   #172
Shawnstium is offline Shawnstium  United States
diyAudio Member

Designing a high voltage power supply, with high current capabilities is not an easy feat to accomplish. I believe Coil Craft offers a forward mode transfer that can do 10amps. It may be possible to use two, in parallel to charge a bus (cap bank) to higher voltage, and then use a HV regulator (switch or linear) on the output. I would very much love to build one, but as you have found out, it’s way harder than reading a design book. My desire to build one almost makes me want to go back to college for high power circuit design. If there is a way to help you, let me know. I’ll review the thread, as I have been out of the loop because of job loss, and post the part number of the aforementioned transformer.

A Guide to Forward-mode Transformers | Coilcraft
Old 31st August 2020, 11:00 PM   #173
CaterpilarSK is offline CaterpilarSK  Slovakia
diyAudio Member

Unfortunately I have stuck in desparate frustration. And its not as simple as reading a design book because there simply ISNT ANY.
Old 31st August 2020, 11:50 PM   #174
kodabmx is offline kodabmx  Canada
Spreading triode love.
diyAudio Member

TonyTecson winds trafos... I don't know if he could help you...
Old 5th September 2020, 05:26 PM   #175
Shawnstium is offline Shawnstium  United States
diyAudio Member

https://register.gotowebinar.com/reg...21718863155467

Design, Build, and Test a Flyback Transformer - Webinar
Old 6th September 2020, 03:54 AM   #176
richwalters is offline richwalters
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaterpilarSK View Post
Unfortunately I came to a screeching halt in the advancements to get another complete and more powerfull redesign of my PSU.

I cant find any data or literature on how to make one and there seem to be less than 0 people who actually care to help me.

... there are books about, one being Switchmode power supply handbook by Keith Billings ibsn 0-07-005330-8

This is only the start of the science around magnetics design, switchmode and applied techniques and will change one´s approach. Physics with some math and a proper lab bench with decent quality scopes, isolating power supplies will be required but far more is the understanding and skill from time served work. From the previous application lab generation 1950-1980, one never threw away those application and data books from Unitrode which is now Ti. With this was the pure analogue world were some of us excelled. Also ferrite material product books....from Philips, Magnetics, Micrometals and others are a mime of information. These are absolute ´gold dust´ material.

Now the web does have alot of application notes but remember one´s own design request; create a specification and work around it; if it is workable esp which switching topology would be best.
A software redesign of a switch mode power supply is a very risky undertaking without analogue experience; spikes and strange things happen with mysterious failures that will often test the skill of the the designer. On many occasions I had to resort to microwave layout techniques with the adapt use of a good soldering iron to get the results.

It is such a shame these days that I come across so much valuable previous curriculum material being scrapped with educational reforms, often just to suit the wasteful learning trends of today. Without magnetics and core subjects of physics, the world wouldn´t tick anymore.

Keep one´s hand on the tiller one will need it.

Viva analogue.

rich
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lab as now+.jpg (122.0 KB, 127 views)
Old 6th September 2020, 03:57 PM   #177
v4lve lover is offline v4lve lover  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Location: Surrounded by glass, no really my room is full of tubes
Powerful SMPS for tube ampifier Powerful SMPS for tube ampifier
See Development topic 12=>200-450V 100mA flyback.

If you don't mind the 12V primary there is the : TI-EF25-1068 FERYSTER - Transformer: impulse | power supply; 45W; Works with: UC3843 | TME - Electronic components

Personally i was thinking of paralelling two of those for higher currents, i just need to change the circuit a bit so that the mosfet is turned off harder.

I know you use eagle as well, so see attached my current progress with the flyback test board.

Me thinks we might need to add a 4420 mosfet driver between the 3843 output and the FET, so the gate is driven hard.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 1068 flyback test board.zip (259.6 KB, 5 views)
Old 7th September 2020, 01:45 AM   #178
trobbins is offline trobbins  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I cant find any data or literature on how to make one....
Most people who have had extensive experience in designing up and testing smps transformers have done it as a job, and based off a past that shows they can understand and appreciate detailed electronics and magnetic theory, and can access and learn from previous similar products and a wide variety of design material that is available when a reasonable amount of effort is applied to chase down relevant documentation.

Some magnetics and control IC companies have provided tutorials and app notes, with the aim of easing professional designers through the process of collating all the raw data (ie. magnetic core and control IC implementation data) and giving an example design path and example experimental results. Most companies that have been down a smps development path for a particular product would not make the development and verification type dossier available for public scrutiny, nor should they, as it is in-house blood and sweat to achieve and has a value. There are literally thousands and thousands of products that would have design and testing dossiers sitting in filing cabinets that justify and define how to make a reliable smps that meets the product specs.

If you want to become a racing car driver then there is a lot of work and effort and opportunity and time needed to build one's experience.

It is a lot easier for others to assist if your past simpler projects are all fully documented and can be seen to show you are not missing some aspect or other of understanding or awareness, and then your present project is similarly documented and detailed down to the nth degree that there is not something missing in preparation, and that forum posts are restricted to small bite-size technical uncertainties that may be easy to respond to.

That may be difficult to appreciate for an 18 year old that hasn't had the luck so far to work through a few more years of solid theory and practical grounding, or gained a foothold in a company that does smps design/manufacture which you can leverage off for fast-tracked experience.
Old 7th September 2020, 11:06 AM   #179
jwilhelm is offline jwilhelm  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Manufacturers show me the middle finger not just in terms of actually manufacturing the custom part but also in terms of helping to design one. Nobody wants to help me not even give me the abillity to design one or give me the theory so this power supply is effectively a dead end.

To anyone in the future trying something mad like this: unless you can work with someone who has the knowledge just give it up. Nobody is gonna support you.
There are lots of calculators available for transformers in the diySMPS forums. Page Title
Old 7th September 2020, 11:43 AM   #180
SemperFi is offline SemperFi  Wake Island
diyAudio Member

Sorry I have not read this thread, just dont have the time now, but from just a few posts above it seems one challenge is the flyback transformer.
I did one with a 350V output once, from 24-48V input, and found the best way was to make four secondaries, each stacked on each other (series connection) and each rectified by a small and low charge diode. All windings one layer, one layer tape between, primary windings interleaved between each secondary and in parallel.

The bobbin was increased in diameter using paper so the first winding (inner) was a little further out than stock, to reduce fringing losses. That helped a lot. It also makes each winding more similar since the inner most one isn't so small in diameter compared to the outer most.

It runs at > 400kHz so it does not need many turns, making it relatively easy to wind, can't remember how many turns but think less than 10 on the primary and twice that on secondary, same wire, just two in parallel for the primary, on a type RM8.

Few turns, same wire, and those transformers are not that difficult to make.

Powerful SMPS for tube ampifierHide this!Advertise here!