Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Powerful SMPS for tube ampifier
Powerful SMPS for tube ampifier
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th June 2020, 11:42 PM   #161
CaterpilarSK is offline CaterpilarSK  Slovakia
diyAudio Member

One thing to note: Could we include opto isolation? Not insanely important because the power supply used will likely not be mains ground refferenced but if yes just to avoid noise and interference?

Not insanely critical just wondering
Old 6th June 2020, 10:29 PM   #162
diyAudio Member

Also. I need the transformer data, diodes and the ICs arround (component names ratings)

I cant really get to designing the board without the transformer (dimensions and layout stuff)
Old 6th June 2020, 10:32 PM   #163
diyAudio Member

Im all in just so you know
Old 7th June 2020, 01:00 PM   #164
diyAudio Member

Where's everyone gone?
Old 7th June 2020, 01:29 PM   #165
MorbidFractal is offline MorbidFractal
diyAudio Member

Sorry for the apparent radio silence. Still banging my head against things.
Old 9th June 2020, 01:27 AM   #166
diyAudio Member

alright been digging the schematic a little bit.

Is there any other less wastefull option instead of the LM339? What other common cheap op amps are possible to use? If not well stick with the LT1800 just asking.

Can I also get component recommendation ? (the D flip flop and the gates A2 and A3)

I assume a simple 5V refference with a TL431 will be sufficient ?
Old 9th June 2020, 06:32 PM   #167
diyAudio Member

Uhm. Kind of throw that in the bin and be patient. It's not done until it's done. That's why they call it Design and Development. I think you may have had experience of that one...

Now with, poorly implemented, inrush current limiting and using a TL494. Yes I hate myself already and yes it was a pain interfacing to it.

No LM339 but this time a single quad op-amp. I'll bear the cost in mind but there are bandwidth and slew rate requirements plus it needs to be rail to rail input and output.

You can worry some more because I have decided to use current transformers. Again, in part, this is error amplifier bandwidth but more importantly power loss in sense resistors.

Picture is start up to 420V @ 315W. Top loss in the limiter, output voltage, input supply and input inductor current. Middle output of current transformers. Bottom output of voltage and current error amplifiers.

Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot from 2020-06-09 19-03-49.png (124.8 KB, 121 views)
Old 13th June 2020, 01:05 PM   #168
diyAudio Member

Now with flux balance compensation. The problem is that primary side current is determined solely by the boost inductor. Secondary side current is delivered as primary side transformer magnetising current subtracted from the boost inductor current... modified by the turns ratio. If the primary side magnetising current is unbalanced which it will be because it is a push-pull convertor then things rapidly go to pot. You can't use current mode control, peak or otherwise, on the primary side because it is just going to control the boost inductor current unless you come up with a cunning plan. The simpler cunning plan is to monitor secondary side current where the problem really makes its impact known and then take action on the primary side.

Latest .asc as a .zip plus some words up until the Right Half Plane Zero. This is ifedboost04. Edit the label SNS at the bottom of RT to be GND(global 0) to watch it lose the plot.

Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot from 2020-06-13 14-00-52.png (136.1 KB, 112 views)
File Type: png Screenshot from 2020-06-13 14-01-38.png (68.8 KB, 112 views)
Attached Files
File Type: asc ifedboost04.asc (16.5 KB, 1 views)
File Type: zip iboost130620.zip (51.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: pdf boost.pdf (27.9 KB, 8 views)
Old 12th July 2020, 10:05 PM   #169
diyAudio Member

So I have been a doing some operational surgery and this is what I thought up with the currently available parts I have.

Still using the GA3459 transformers (because custom is a no go for now) and going voltage mode flyback.

Not ideal but good enough.

R7 limits max DTC and C7 is the soft start. Each IC has its own bypass cap and so on.

The oscilator (consisting of IC1) is expected to run at 47kHz (enough).

The PSU has two channels that are independednt of each other other than the clock, so there are completely independentally regulated two outputs and each channels can be set at a different voltage and each can provide with a some little discomfort 60W. For a stereo 20W cathode bias or even a 40-50W grid bias it should be sufficient

Everything is overkill and regulated quite nicely. Should give me the stability and nice signal integrity within this monster aswell.

I went full discrete but I dont regret it. This circuit (only one channel) proved to work fine in the past with no hiss or noticeable horrible noise like the one I have right now rocking the TL494.

This doesnt really fit the needs of insanely high power capability but sure is a functional thing for decent power amplifiers and should be relatively silent with a LCLC filter on the output.

Also using a single timebase avoids the problem of whistling and weird stuff when two PSUs have different frequencies and phase shifts and all that weird junk
Old 12th July 2020, 10:19 PM   #170
diyAudio Member

Here is the schematic...Forgot to send it in the first message.

Keep in mind this is not the complete schematic, its missing a whole lot on the output side for this to work nicely
Attached Images
File Type: png SCHE prot.png (98.1 KB, 70 views)

Powerful SMPS for tube ampifierHide this!Advertise here!