mini superreg for phono

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hello,
because I build a shunt regulator for high voltage from the Allen Wright preamp cookbook many years ago , which still works very well, I thought to build a mini superreg using the TL431 applications, with a regulated current source and a shunt regulator.
It can be adjusted from +/- 10-35V and mayebe 50mA, depending on heatsinks. Without a heatsink, it can be used for about 25mA.
The components are very common and cheap. I made also a layout for a printed circuit board, to use it with transistor or OP phono riaa preamps.
The values for the resistors X1,X2, Y1,Y2 set the current and the voltage, and can be caculated, the reference voltage for the TL431 is 2.5V.
The BC337 I replaced later by a BD139, I have also a version with a dual supply for a 2 OP phono preamp.
I used this power supply for meanwhile 5 different phono stages, and set them up individual after measuring the current drawn by the phono circuit, I add min 10mA more to be delivered by the current source. The shunt regulator itselfy needs about 3mA for working. This power supply is short circuit safe.
Due to that phono stages do usually need very little current, the dissipation loss is also little. Mayebe 1-2 watts overall.

Armin

Attachments

• TL431.regler.jpg
    TL431.regler.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 904
  • MD_phono_TL431.regler.JPG
    MD_phono_TL431.regler.JPG
    180.6 KB · Views: 935
Last edited:
by the way, I can supply the files for the board, if there is any interest.
This power supply is good for phono, because it has a very great hum rejection due to the current sources. I use a "wall wart" housing for the transformer, it can be a 2W type, this is in most cases sufficient for a phono stage. It must have 2 secondary windings, of course.
And it is easy to set up, for example, you need 25mA, than you choose for Y a 120 ohm resistor, and for 15V you can take for X1 = 10K and for X2=1K.
I prefer this fixed resistors about trimmers, its cheaper and more reliable.

Attachments

• Superreg_Bestueckung.jpg
    Superreg_Bestueckung.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 705
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.