Possible effects of inexpensive SMPS + linear power supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Due to limited space, I am thinking to get a small SMPS to power my stepped attenuator (mainly relays, bjts & micro controller). In this case, the SMPS ground will be connect to my analog stage. What would be the disadvantage of this? This inexpensive SMPS takes the input from the mains and outputs 5V. The output will be dirty, full of spikes and HF harmonics...

Poting

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Due to limited space, I am thinking to get a small SMPS to power my stepped attenuator (mainly relays, bjts & micro controller). In this case, the SMPS ground will be connect to my analog stage. What would be the disadvantage of this? This inexpensive SMPS takes the input from the mains and outputs 5V. The output will be dirty, full of spikes and HF harmonics...

Poting

Have you considered a SilentSwitcher for your sensitive stuff?

Jan

In that case, a wall-wart would be a great choice. You have the benefit of distance, and putting some common mode cores on the cable will get you pretty clean on interference.

Putting an SMPS in your case probably is the worst you can do....

Jan

Thanks. I will just stick to linear supply then. I was hoping the SMPS could also save me a pair of winding from my trafo.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.