Do I need a step down converter and a Isolated converter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I'm new to this so I don't know if this post is in the right place.

I'm trying to make a portable Bluetooth speaker for my school A level project but don't know much about electronics.

So I went on Instructables to find components Ideas. My question is if I need a step down converter and a Isolated converter. Does it not do the same thing? I have. Here is an image of the setup they have used.

Speaker components.LARGE.jpg

Also if you can suggest any better components would be good.

Thanks in advance

Alternatively:

The isolated converter will galvanically isolate the audio jack from an external power supply plugged into the dc jack.

If 5Vdc and ground are applied to the input pins of the converter, then an isolated 5Vdc and ground is obtained on the output pins.

Thanks for the link, which says:
A step-down converter and an isolated converter was used to supply power to the Bluetooth board and eliminate any ground-loop noise.
Eliminating any ground loop noise is in agreement with my last post. Best to include the isolated converter!

P.S. The wiring to the audio jack can't be correct as it would short the left and right outputs to ground. The red wires from the amp should be connected to the right hand sides of the 1K resistors. Good luck with your project!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.