Question for linear PSU believers. Regulated or unregulated? Inductor in filter or RC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Can you see the linear PSU in my profile pic? She sounds beautiful as a PSU for DAC.

This question is for people who believe in linear power supplies.

I got an r core trafo from china, smaller.

It has 4 sets of cables coming out.

2*9v, 2*12v.

Can I make a filter to match the quality of the lab PSU in my pic, or to match the quality of a good linear lab psu?

Would that be regulated or unregulated?

A CRC? A crcrc? Or a CLC? Or should I add a regulator?

The trafo in that one in the pic weighs 5 or more kilos. The r-core is much smaller.

What do people think about reg vs unreg?

I have heard that inductors in the filters can be bad for the fact that they limit rapid current draw. What about that? Is that true?

I have heard that lt's newer regulators are better than lm317.
That one is variable.
One thing I have learned is that st microelectronics makes a higher quality LM than generics.

If I use a regulator, which one should I use to get anywhere from 9-12v?

Or is unregulated better for a DAC?

I am thinking its best to regulate at such a low voltage.

Today you have better regulators than LM317 which is an old "workhorse". But the better ones are more expensive and you may not hear the difference if you use an LM317 or a better regulator.
As LM317 is an old design other manufacturers are likely to make their version of LM317 as good as STMicroelectronics. The advantage of the STMicroelectornics version is you know you get one of the better versions.
For a DAC, use a regulated (linear) supply. Unregulated supplies are for power amplifiers because a regulated power supply would have considerable power loss.
Which one? Try to look at TI. They have many of which some have very good specs but are expensive. And, it is not certain you can hear the difference from a cheaper LM317.
NB: Filters are useful if filtering is needed. Adding a filter when filtering is not needed does not improve anything but adds power loss and reduces voltage stability (RC-filters) - worst case adds noise because the filter may start ringing (LC-filter). My advice is to use a regulator without a further filter for a start.

Last edited:
Today you have better regulators than LM317 which is an old "workhorse". But the better ones are more expensive and you may not hear the difference if you use an LM317 or a better regulator.
As LM317 is an old design other manufacturers are likely to make their version of LM317 as good as STMicroelectronics. The advantage of the STMicroelectornics version is you know you get one of the better versions.
For a DAC, use a regulated (linear) supply. Unregulated supplies are for power amplifiers because a regulated power supply would have considerable power loss.
Which one? Try to look at TI. They have many of which some have very good specs but are expensive. And, it is not certain you can hear the difference from a cheaper LM317.
NB: Filters are useful if filtering is needed. Adding a filter when filtering is not needed does not improve anything but adds power loss and reduces voltage stability (RC-filters) - worst case adds noise because the filter may start ringing (LC-filter). My advice is to use a regulator without a further filter for a start.

Interesting!
I have had problems with other 317s that didn't happen with the st microelectronics lm317 so I know that from experience.
Okay, I have seen some good ti regulators and like ti as a company
Do you have a link to a board with one for a good price?
I have also seen some decent Lt regulator boards for $15

Thanks

Interesting!
I have had problems with other 317s that didn't happen with the st microelectronics lm317 so I know that from experience.
Okay, I have seen some good ti regulators and like ti as a company
Do you have a link to a board with one for a good price?
I have also seen some decent Lt regulator boards for $15
Thanks

Sorry, also I ended up with Linear Technology. Highly reputed supplier.
Many suggest the LT3045 (Linear Technology) to be one of the ultimate regulators:
https://www.analog.com/media/en/technical-documentation/data-sheets/3045fa.pdf
Unfortunately it is not cheap.
Alternatives:
LT3042 Ultra Low Noise Linear Regulator Power Amanero XMOS DAC Core Power Supply For Preamplifier DAC-in Amplifier from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
LT3042 Ultra Low Noise Linear Regulator Preamplifier Board DAC Amanero XMOS DAC Core Power Supply-in Amplifier from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Use a regulated supply when you need a regulated supply. If you don't need a regulated supply then use an unregulated supply. Simple!

Inductors can limit sudden current draw. That is what they are supposed to do; it is how they reduce ripple, by limiting changes in current through them. Series regulators behave in exactly the same way, although for different reasons; their output impedance is almost always inductive. Resistors limit all current draw, sudden or steady.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.