Low noise 15 volt 3 amp SMPS

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Great, that leaves more for me :)

Are you considering the frequency of the ripple, and the SMPSs ability to withstand additional filtering? - will it not start with additional capacitance?

Why not go for something made in Andover MA that is subject to real scrutiny than something that, well, hmm ?

Last edited:
Are you considering the frequency of the ripple, and the SMPSs ability to withstand additional filtering? - will it not start with additional capacitance? Why not go for something made in Andover MA that is subject to real scrutiny than something that, well, hmm ?
What sort of additional filtering would you suggest, for, say an SMPS that switches at ~75 KHz? I was thinking of a 200µH coil in series, with a 0.022µF cap to ground.
What is "something made in Andover MA"?

What sort of additional filtering would you suggest, for, say an SMPS that switches at ~75 KHz? I was thinking of a 200µH coil in series, with a 0.022µF cap to ground.
What is "something made in Andover MA"?

Honestly, I'm not sure what would work best in a specific application. I've tried some things but my efforts were wasted. From memory the ripple with the vicors was above 200KHz so i didn't kill myself trying. Vicor doesn't spec a specific switching freq if I recall. I believe they start 100Khz at light load and on up to 2Mhz at full load. - please check that, it is from memory.

I'm running a threshold NS10 pre clone and associated phono pre on a 24v vicor Flatpac. There is 32,000 uF capacitance on the DC side. Starts and runs fine with the 32 there. I have no idea if the capacitance helps, but unless i'm deaf - there isn't a peep of noise. Dead silent.

I have a Pass class A M2 clone amplifier with 2x24v vicors in series (this is sacrilege) in a separate enclosure from the amp. ~10,000uf per rail on the DC side. This is the quietest amp I have ever had on my 98dB Forte' II.

I have a Pass Aleph 5 clone with 4 x vicor flatpacs. Too much hiss. I think my board layout is oscillating - or hey, maybe it's the PSUs? Don't have the time to get into it and it's too cold in the shop.

Something made in Andover MA is Vicor

I really like these things, is all.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.