Reducing the voltage on an unregulated PSU

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2011
I would like to reuse a PSU with +/- 45VDC unregulated output. But I
need +/-40VDC or less to power the TDA7294 amp boards.

You need a bucking transformer. Get a transformer with a 120VAC primary, and a 12.6VAC secondary.
Its primary goes across the AC line. Its secondary goes in series with your PSU transformer primary.

Choose the phasing of the bucking transformer's secondary winding to reduce the PSU output voltage.
The current rating of the bucking secondary winding should be the same (or more) as the PSU primary.

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
You could add a simple mosfet cap Mx and drop 4v sometimes 4.5v depending on particular part, plus get -50dB ripple reduction. Perfect match for this transformer.

It will dissipate whatever current x 4v drop there is but really helps reduce power supply ripple and hum.

$4 for IRFP240 and 9240 MOSFET, a few resistors and capacitors. Under $10 total and a lot cheaper than a buck trafo or a new trafo. Plus you get ripple eater and a slow ramp up soft start.

Juma's Easy-Peasy Capacitance Multiplier

If you need another 0.5v drop add a CRC filter to clean it up even more.

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
16*20A (8 for each rail) diodes in series with the rails will drop 8*0.6V, A LM317 with a boosting transistor will also do it just for testing, but TDA datasheet tells to use 30V and not 40V.
Sometimes it is easy to unwind a couple of turns from the transformer.

Voltage And Current Regulators

The datasheet I'm looking at seems to indicate the top end of the range of supply voltage is 40 (see attached). I suspect I'm misinterpreting it. Please set me straight, thank you.

Attachments

• TDA7294.pdf
    225.3 KB · Views: 36
In my opinion, the best solution would be #3. As new transformers usually aren't that cheap, the 2nd best solution form #3 comes into mind. I'd modify it, though: Arrange the supplementary transformer as a real autoformer, i.e. connect the 120V primary in series with the 12V secondary, observing the right phase. Then connect the amplifier's tranny to the 120V and mains power to the ends (132V).
The supplementary xformer's wattage may be much smaller than the amp's maximum power consumption - only one tenth of it in this case.
Best regards!

Last edited:
Look at the middle column TYP. With 40V you are at max spec, any line fluctuations can lead to over-voltage. I would go for 35V max for 8 Ohm and 27V for 4Ohm.
As 40V/8Ohm=5A & 5A*40V=200W. Can the chip handle it at long term ?
Perhaps with forced cooling and more than 10% distortion.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.