Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Power supply help
Power supply help
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th November 2018, 01:49 AM   #1
Preciousamps is offline Preciousamps
diyAudio Member

Default Power supply help

Hello newby here,
I'm a disabled mechanic/technician diy'er with some ac/dc knowledge and I've been studying my butt off to build a tube amp and some pedals I love all things guitar and I have to do things on the cheap do to my finances cause of disability. I have tons of electronics I've salvaged, good stuff and some new tubes and sockets I will have to purchase some higher voltage caps and such but.......i can't find specs for my PS stuff.
Does any know or have resources about mains PS and Opt PS
I have a Philco both mains and output from old radio and many others others sansui and infinity ect I have numbers and images if needed or if anyone knows were I can find info great. I have spent days looking and can't find anything specific. Thank for your help!
Old 19th November 2018, 02:41 AM   #2
JMFahey is offline JMFahey  Argentina
diyAudio Member

1) welcome to the Forum

2)
Quote:
mains PS and Opt PS
maybe you mean Mains/Power and Output transformers?

3) if that Philco radio was a tubed one, try to find what model it was, we might find a schematic, that would give us a clue about transformers used.

I guess those Sansui and Infinity transformers are from Solid State stuff ... they can be used of course to build SS Guitar amplifiers, with maybe a Tube preamp fed from a smaller inexpensive transformer.
Lots of interesting stuff can be done.

4) I suggest you start with Pedals, if anything because no transformers are involved, just a simple inexpensive 9V power supply ... or even a 9V battery.
And then you go on and on, rising the bet each time
Old 19th November 2018, 04:08 AM   #3
Preciousamps is offline Preciousamps
diyAudio Member

Thank you JMFahey here's the mains/Power and output transformer 32-8248 and 32-8274M yea all the others were SS stuff I seen were some had used SS transformers in there stuff
I didn't think it was a great idea beings all the information I have
read i hope I have something I can use outta those two once I found out what they are how I can use them and if they test out ok. I do things the right way just pinched on $$$ so trying to make lemonade ya know. I will buy them if I have to may be cheaper ones none the less good quality. Anyway thanks!
Old 19th November 2018, 07:36 AM   #4
JMFahey is offline JMFahey  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Quote:
32-8248 and 32-8274M
look very much like the dreaded "house numbers", usually not traceable to any common Commercial parts.
What were they used for?

Say .... "the Output transformer couples a 6V6 , 50L6 or 6AQ5 output tube to a 3.2 ohm speaker" ... based on that we can more or less guess its parameters.

Say: "the power transformer feeds such and such tubes" which gives us a clue about available filament current; plus knowing power tubes usedgives us an idea of suitable +V voltage.

Table radio power amps usually were single ended Class A using some of the tubes I mentioned above, with 1 to 2 W RMS output.

In principle you should be able to build a Champ type Guitar amp.

Fine sounding, my very first tube amp was exactly that ... straight out of Jack Darrīs "Electric Guitar Amplifier Handbook" which I suggest you read .

Power supply helpHide this!Advertise here!