Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

How to build Linear PSU?
How to build Linear PSU?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th November 2018, 09:44 AM   #1
techmate is offline techmate
diyAudio Member

Default How to build Linear PSU?

I saw quite often on ebay, aliexpress different parts pcb and so on in order to build a psu and i wish to build my own. Should power a hybrid amp which requires a 26v/0.8 and as well a topping d50 dac 5v/2. I never did anything like this therefore i really need you're help. The only sure thing is that the solder is already in HOT

Regards,

Last edited by techmate; 19th November 2018 at 02:05 AM.
Old 18th November 2018, 09:50 AM   #2
JonSnell Electronic is offline JonSnell Electronic  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

You should find this interesting, depending on your expertise level of course.
Basic Linear Power Supply Circuits Design
Old 18th November 2018, 10:22 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSnell Electronic View Post
You should find this interesting, depending on your expertise level of course.
Basic Linear Power Supply Circuits Design
interesting, thanks
Old 18th November 2018, 11:00 AM   #4
FauxFrench is offline FauxFrench  France
diyAudio Member

G'day,

A small comment on supply voltages and power levels for a start: If the "hybrid amp" is a power amplifier, 26V/0.8Amp sounds little likely. 0.8A is too little for a power amplifier.
The TP50 uses a 5V/3A power supply.

Do you want to assemble your own power supply kit?
Do you want to design and build your own power supply using power regulator ICs?
Do you want to design and build your own power supply from discrete components?
Old 18th November 2018, 01:01 PM   #5
jimk04 is offline jimk04  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I'm also new to this and considering building some psus.

I have this board in my watched items. Looks quite nice if you need DC.

HiFi Single Power Supply Rectifier Filter Board Kit For 1969 Amplifier PSU | eBay

And also similarly

DIY KITS HIFI Stereo Power Supply Board 63V 2200Uf X 8+MUR860G X 4 6008728722130 | eBay

I guess feed these from a toroid or laminate transformer and apart from voltage regulation you are nearly there?

An AC psu is something for me to learn as at the moment I power my Dacmagic straight from a 12v toroid. It works but I know it isnt correct!
Old 18th November 2018, 10:12 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimk04 View Post
I'm also new to this and considering building some psus.

I have this board in my watched items. Looks quite nice if you need DC.

HiFi Single Power Supply Rectifier Filter Board Kit For 1969 Amplifier PSU | eBay

And also similarly

DIY KITS HIFI Stereo Power Supply Board 63V 2200Uf X 8+MUR860G X 4 6008728722130 | eBay

I guess feed these from a toroid or laminate transformer and apart from voltage regulation you are nearly there?

An AC psu is something for me to learn as at the moment I power my Dacmagic straight from a 12v toroid. It works but I know it isnt correct!
These are nice rectifier and power decoupling boards.

A traditional power supply includes four elements:

1) A transformer for converting the net voltage to a suitable AC voltage.
2) A rectifier arrangement (often a bridge rectifier).
3) Power line decoupling capacitors (temporary energy storage).
4) A voltage regulator, often linear.

1)+2)+3) form an unregulated power supply with little power loss but some ripple and voltage variations with net voltage variations and loading. Useful for most power amplifiers and generally uncritical applications.

If 4) is added to 1)+2)+3) if forms a regulated power supply. Less ripple, constant output voltage and faster response to load changes. Unfortunately considerable power loss (heat). Useful for critical power amplifiers, pre-amplifiers, DACs etc.

You can very well start with one of the boards you suggest and then add 4) if needed. It is important to identify your needs for a a start because that affects the design of 1) and 3) in particular. If a linear regulator is used, it must have an input voltage margin such that it never saturates and regulation is lost.

4) can be designed from scratch with discrete components but generally it is recommended to use specialized ICs eventually with buffer transistors or improved regulation. Specialized ICs perform well for most use.

Linear regulators have the advantage of being adaptable by yourself through use of standard components.

The alternative to linear power supply systems is SMPS. SMPS can often be bought at good prices but are difficult to adapt yourself due to the specialized high-frequency transformer. You may add a linear post regulator after the SMPS. A post regulator can improve ripple and eventually also load response but then the attractive efficiency of the SMPS is partly lost.

Last edited by FauxFrench; 18th November 2018 at 10:32 PM.
Old 18th November 2018, 10:45 PM   #7
MAAC0 is offline MAAC0  Portugal
diyAudio Member

Start here:

DIY Audio Articles
Old 19th November 2018, 02:04 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FauxFrench View Post
G'day,

A small comment on supply voltages and power levels for a start: If the "hybrid amp" is a power amplifier, 26V/0.8Amp sounds little likely. 0.8A is too little for a power amplifier.
The TP50 uses a 5V/3A power supply.

Do you want to assemble your own power supply kit?
Do you want to design and build your own power supply using power regulator ICs?
Do you want to design and build your own power supply from discrete components?
G'day mate,

here is a picture of the wall wart so you can see by you're self, the hybrid amp is a class A headphone amplifier which i wish to mod as well but for this i have a separate topic open in tube amplifiers. Hopefully the information in the picture will be useful. I think assemble one is a faster and easier way, i don't have the knowledge to design a psu i'm good enough with soldering i have passion and patience and happy to put things togheter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg unnamed.jpg (462.5 KB, 978 views)
Old 19th November 2018, 08:15 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAAC0 View Post
Start here:

DIY Audio Articles
thumbs up !
Old 19th November 2018, 09:36 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

A class A headphone amplifier, fine. 26V/0.8A I would make from a 30V/1.5A power adapter (SMPS), with 2200uF/50V at the output, followed by a linear post-regulator to reduce ripple and noise.

For the TP50 I would do the same but use a 9V/3A adapter instead.

Last edited by FauxFrench; 19th November 2018 at 09:40 AM.

How to build Linear PSU?Hide this!Advertise here!