Mains circuit isolation

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi!

There is often an additional isolation of mains circuitry in class II devices, like on this picture.

psu.png

Currently I'm doing some mods to my build and, unfortunately, the power controller board will move to the front panel. Of course it's a class I device with safety earth, but I'd still like to cover it with some kind of foil. What do you guys use in such situations? Mylar? Or something else?

Thanks,
Michael

Yes, that's the idea. I tried to find pre-folded ready to use pieces, but had no luck.
What about temperature rating of the foil? There is a soft start circuit on this board, with NTC shorted by a relay. Shouldn't get very hot if it works properly, but who knows?..

Thanks,
Michael

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I'd go to the car-parts store for "sheet gasket". This is like cardboard, except MUCH tougher. When your 1927 Dodge needs a water-pump gasket you cut it from sheet gasket. Also butt-connectors on water heaters with over-priced replacement parts.
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/felpro-gasket-material-3157/5189950-p

This is the same stuff as Electrical Insulation as used in large electric motors except not tested/certified for the purpose. (A motor repair shop might have actual electrical papers.)

You won´t find precut folded sheets with the exact size you need , that´s asking way too much :)

Just buy an A4 sized sheet of Mylar or whatever minimum size does your retailer sell and cut/bend it yourself to size :)

Hint: or try to find an old discarded X Ray sheet, almost anybody has an old non longer useful one stashed somewhere.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.