high voltage regulator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello
Thanks for simulating the circuit. Can i ask what program you have used to simulate this and get the bode plot? And my next question is if i want to find the transfer function with help of bode100 can i use the same method as you have done in your cirvuit? Like just putting a small resistor between the output and feedback and then measure across that resistor to get the bodeplot?

You can use the BWIT-100 transformer to inject a signal into the control loop. I just use a 1mA current source against a 1 Ohm resistor for a 1mV perturbation. Adding another reactive element (transformer) slows the analysis. Note that the Bode-100 is limited to 40V input.

The simulation was using the ADI LM10 model (from Linear Tech) -- it isn't perfect, but there is no point in gilding the lily for a part which is as old as Moses. The program is Multisim which I've trained myself to learn over the decades.

Hello Thankd for the reply. Can you exolain to me how the negative feedback work in this circuit. I know the LM10 works as a comporator in this circuit but i cant see how i get the desired output. I mean lets say i give 135 volt as input and i have set the reference voltage to 120 volts. How does i get constant 120 volt at Q2 emitter which is the output. I am confused.

Hej,
i have built the regulator noe using the LM10 opmap. Ot worked well in the begining where i increased the input voltage gradually. My input voltage is 135volts and i want 120 volts out. so when i grafually increases the input voltage from 0 to 135 and when i reach 135 it gives me a stable voltage around 120volts. Today i gave 135 directly without increasing from 0 to 135 like i set 135 direct in and the transistor Q2 the one on the output side stopped working and this is happening everytime i give the input voltage.. Is there anyone who can help me why the transistor dies..
The picture of the circuit is present in the same thread.
Thanks..

yes i thought the same because thr transisitor i have in output side has maximum current ratting of 1A so it can be the current but i dont know from where does this large current comes from. what do you mean of slow start part. and can you also tell me the reason behind having 100k resistor and 6k resistor in the circuit. My understanding tell that 6k resistor is placed to control the current in the LM10 but i dont know the function of 100k resistor . I hope i get answer for both questions. Thanks for the reply.

R4 100k gives some amount of current to flow into Q1 base, it sets "base" point for this transistor, together with D3D4 and A1 of cause. (I'm not good at terminology in English, "base" point = "transistor operating point?").
Q1 and D1-D2 and R3 (6k) sets the base point for Q2.
Unfortunately, I can't describe it good enough.

Last edited:
what do you mean of slow start part
the output voltage have to rise slowly - so the caps at the load will charge with less (smaller) current.
A simple "slow start" can be achieved here by increasing of C1 (0,001 uF) nominal. Time constant C1R1 now is 0.001uF*2k= 0.002 s. It is very fast. To it was slow - time constant have to be about 1 second.
So you can try increase C1 to 0.1uF..0.22uF or even to 1 uF (or more).

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.