Ian's Ultracapacitor Explore PLUS - build thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This thread is for the owners of Ian's excess PCBs from post 163 of his original thread Develop ultra capacitor power supply and LiFePO4 battery power supply.

The schematics were shared in post 187.

I started a Project in Mouser: Ian Ultracap PSU v1. I chose the smaller-capacity alternative as the ESR was lower too and I'm not sure I'd need that much capacity anyway. Please adjust the project accordingly, if you need the higher-capacity alternative.

The outstanding part is the LT3042 board. I will update this post when we agree which one to use. So far, there a few ready-made eBay alternatives (though with LT3045 instead and Ian warned me that we should make sure the current is limited to 200mA) and some PCBs were designed by diyaudio.com members and can be ordered from PCB manufacturers.

The list will grow here:
1. PCB: LT3042 LDO Regulator - PCBWay.
2. PCB: Ultra Low Noise Linear Power Supply, using LT3042 - OSH Park.
3. LT3045-78xx Ultralow-noise (0.8µVrms) linear regulator 0V-15V, 0.5A, 78xx Layout - eBay
4. This one is also pin-compatible, but it doesn't look as good as the one before it: LT3045 3.3V 500mA 0.8uVrms Ultra Low Noise Linear Voltage Regulator Replace 7833 - eBay

Hi Luchoh

Do you know if this board is the finished product for Ian's UC power supply or does he have plans to further develop this PS with additional features?

Thanks

I think you should ask Ian. My feeling is this was an experiment he most likely abandoned for now. He is currently focused on the LiFePO4 PSU - link to the thread in the first post - which is also very intriguing.

This thread is for the owners of Ian's excess PCBs from post 163 of his original thread Develop ultra capacitor power supply and LiFePO4 battery power supply.

The schematics were shared in post 187.

I started a Project in Mouser: Ian Ultracap PSU v1. I chose the smaller-capacity alternative as the ESR was lower too and I'm not sure I'd need that much capacity anyway. Please adjust the project accordingly, if you need the higher-capacity alternative.

The outstanding part is the LT3042 board. I will update this post when we agree which one to use. So far, there a few ready-made eBay alternatives (though with LT3045 instead and Ian warned me that we should make sure the current is limited to 200mA) and some PCBs were designed by diyaudio.com members and can be ordered from PCB manufacturers.

The list will grow here:
1. PCB: LT3042 LDO Regulator - PCBWay.
2. PCB: Ultra Low Noise Linear Power Supply, using LT3042 - OSH Park.
3. LT3045-78xx Ultralow-noise (0.8µVrms) linear regulator 0V-15V, 0.5A, 78xx Layout - eBay
4. This one is also pin-compatible, but it doesn't look as good as the one before it: LT3045 3.3V 500mA 0.8uVrms Ultra Low Noise Linear Voltage Regulator Replace 7833 - eBay

What about this eBay LT3042 board? It's cheaper than the one with the three pins.

In my case I wouldn't be replacing existing three pin regulators, but adding them on a DAC that is using switch supplies.

The idea would be to use solid pins from each LT board to the power pad, close to the IC to be powered.

My question is about the quality of the eBay regulation board itself.

BTW, adding a solid wire to another pin, in order to convert this board into a three-pin, should be quite straightforward and fulfill your demands.

Last edited:
Here I put those LT304X modules side by side, to show how adding a third pin to the cheaper module should be quite easy.

Attachments

• LT304X boards.jpg
    LT304X boards.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 886
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.