Powering a DAC Board that Requires AC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

The following AD1955 DAC board requires AC Power.

AD1955.jpg

AD1955+WM8805+PCM2706 Board Coaxial Fiber Optic USB DAC Board YJ-1 | eBay

The bottom right corner, has 2 connectors:

2-Connectors.jpg

The left one is labelled: AC9V, AC9V
The right one is labelled: AC15V, 0V, AC15V

Does the user of this board need to supply both of them, or only 1 of them?
And also, why the 9v is Single Rail and the 15v is Dual Rail?

Thank you

Yup, you need a transformer or transformers that can supply both. Since you are in the U.S. that would be one transformer with a 120 volt primary with two secondary sections, one with 2 x 9 volt and the second with 15 volt - 0 - 15 volt. Or two separate transformers , each with one of the above configurations. Your eBay seller probably has one specific for that board.

Most likely the digital circuit uses the single rail and the audio uses the dual rail, it's good that they use entirely separate supplies
Interesting.

Tho it makes powering it more complicated - you need to find 1 transformer that supplies both 9v and 15v.. (or, get 2 transformers..)

In addition,
let's say I find a transformer that supplies both 9v and 15v,
will it supply both the 9v and 15v using 3 wires? (e.g. 9v,0v,9v, and 15v,0v,15v)
and then I take the 0v only when needed (for the 15v part), and not use it for the 9v part?

Or do I have to find a transformer that specifically gives the 9v in Single Rail, and the 15v in Dual Rail?

You need a transformer with two separate secondaries:
1. 0V-9V - two wires
2. 15V-0V-15V - three wires
There must be no connection between the two secondaries.

If you find a transformer with 9-0-9 and 15-0-15, then you can use it by using either 0-9 or 9-0 (i.e. use two of the three wires for the 9V secondary - do not use the outer two wires as that will give you 18V).

Separate supplies of around these voltages are not unusual so you may be able to find a transformer.

If you find a transformer with 9-0-9 and 15-0-15, then you can use it by using either 0-9 or 9-0
(i.e. use two of the three wires for the 9V secondary - do not use the outer two wires as that will give you 18V).
I am glad this is the answer,
since it makes it easier to find a matching transformer.
(having to find a transformer that has exactly 3 wires for 15v, and exactly 2 wires for 9v would've been a journey)

You need a transformer with two separate secondaries:
1. 0V-9V - two wires
2. 15V-0V-15V - three wires
There must be no connection between the two secondaries.
Aren't all AC transformers give 3 wires for each output voltage that they have?
There are actually transformers that give 2 wires for an output voltage?

Last edited:
Most transformers have individual (two-wire) secondaries.
Interesting. So 2-wire output is the more common type,
I guess the 3-wire output is needed mainly for audio.

You can always connect two such secondaries to make a three-wire secondary.
But this means using 2 transformers..
Takes more volume, more weight, and costs more..

you cannot split a three-wire secondary into two two-wire secondaries.
You said earlier that from a 3-wire we can take one 2-wire secondary,
e.g. 9v-0v, or 0v-9v (but not the 2 extremes: 9v-9v, because it will double the voltage)

So If we can take 1 pair out of the 3-wires,
what is the reason forwhich we cannot take 2 pairs out of the 3 wires?
(e.g. 9v-0v, and also 0v-9v)

spaceman5 said:
But this means using 2 transformers..
No, most transformers have two or more secondaries.

what is the reason forwhich we cannot take 2 pairs out of the 3 wires?
In almost all cases you would need two quite separate secondaries. You cannot have two things both joined and separate - first rule of electronics. People often get in a mess with power supplies trying to break this rule after they have bought the wrong transformer.

I see

Thank you DF96 - this really helps.

BTW,
it seems that Transformers are a thing that should not be ordered online, (e.g. on ebay)
since its weight makes the price really expensive.

A similar phenomenon occurs in Solder Tin - due to its weight, it's better to buy it locally.

True that it will be unlikely to find a good solution anywhere local.

This is what I have used for similar projects:

AC 220V 30W High Quality Audio R-Core Transformer 15V+15V 9V+9V For Preamp | eBay

It will be very important to identify the center wires of the 15v portion, so as to have the correct arrangement. This can be done with a meter. The 9v will work with the wires in either position.

I will place a fuse onto the primary side as a fire safety measure as well.

There are transformers available for exactly this type of dac on ebay and aliexpress. One example: R30 Y Type Transformer 40W Power Supply for 1794 4399 4495 DAC Audio Board 723247541166 | eBay
Cool,
exactly all that's needed.
But like I said, look at the price and the shipping.
Buying it locally should be 1/4 of that (total) price.

Unfortunately, buying transformers (and solder) by some means other than online is rapidly disappearing from most places in most countries.
Right.
Electronic components stores are closing,
because people who buy electronic components are usually quite familiar with internet shopping,
and so buy online for much lower prices, and more more variety..

But electrical stuff stores (versus electronics) will probably survive better.
Electrical related stores usually sell bigger things, which are harder and more expensive to ship, and so will retain most of their customers.

I wonder why they both these transformers are not in the nice new toroid shape..

It will be very important to identify the center wires of the 15v portion, so as to have the correct arrangement. This can be done with a meter. The 9v will work with the wires in either position.

I will place a fuse onto the primary side as a fire safety measure as well.
Great, thanks for all the tips

Last edited:
spaceman5 said:
Electronic components stores are closing,
because people who buy electronic components are usually quite familiar with internet shopping,
and so buy online for much lower prices, and more more variety..
and because the last High Street electronics supplier in the UK was rumoured to only stock two of each item in its shops. Not much good if you want three or more.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.