Powering a DAC Board that Requires AC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have tried to find ways to locally purchase small transformers, one was using doorbell transformers, but I still haven’t tried them yet, we’re going to add too much volume to my build.

The R-core type shown(didn’t see that you’d already put that link there DF)for sale, are better than the torroidal type, have less of a radiated footprint for starters.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
... BTW, it seems that Transformers are a thing that should not be ordered online, (e.g. on ebay) since its weight makes the price really expensive.
A similar phenomenon occurs in Solder Tin - due to its weight, it's better to buy it locally.

Unless you can walk to the transformer (or tin) factory, you always pay heavy shipping.

There may be some economy if a local shop bulk-orders 100 transformers and gets a better price on shipping. But not a lot better: shipping mostly goes by weight. And if the local shop buys 100 and only ever sells 50, he has to mark-up the retail price a lot, negating most or all the shipping savings.

There are places in the world that buying local makes sense, may be the only way to go. Brazil wants to strengthen its domestic iron and transformer industries. They charge high import fees on foreign iron, like 2X the price of an audio transformer. This makes local demand and most towns have a guy who re-winds and even new-winds transformers.

From time to time, I see this type of transformer:

tf.jpg

tf2.jpg

It looks like a Toroid transformer, but enclosed in a nice plastic casing, with holes.

Does this kind have a special name?

I want to search for it in ebay..

Last edited:
Nice, thanks :)

BTW, it seems that there is a name for this type.
It's usually called Sealed/Cast/Cube transformer.
So when searching ebay/ali for it, one (or more) of these names may appear.

BTW, completely not related to this subject:

You mentioned a specific manufacturer,
there is a company that makes really high quality AC Adapters, called Intertek.
(what they make is AC to DC, the usual plug-shape ones, not related necessarily to audio usage)
Do you guys maybe know where it's possible to buy them online?

Nice, thanks :)

You mentioned a specific manufacturer,
there is a company that makes really high quality AC Adapters, called Intertek.
(what they make is AC to DC, the usual plug-shape ones, not related necessarily to audio usage)
Do you guys maybe know where it's possible to buy them online?

Intertek PSU on Amazon Intertek psu amazon - Google Search Intertek PSU on eBay Intertek PSU ebay - Google Search (I may be behind the times) If you are considering buying consumer SMPS (like most of Intertek offerings) you may include Meanwell products: meanwell psu - Google Search

Last edited:
https://is.gd/u0xBUB
Thanks..
I actually checked ebay before writing that post,
the number of results there is close to 0..

On amazon the number of results is better, yet still seem sporadic.

If only there was a webstore with all their consumer products, it would've been nice,
and useful for any people.

If you are considering buying consumer SMPS (like most of Intertek offerings) you may include Meanwell products: meanwell psu - Google Search
Nice, didn't know about them till now, thank you.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.