Looking for a Recommendation on a 12v Battery that is Simple to Recharge

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Great.

BTW, talking here about Lead Acid batteries reminded me that there's an extremely low-cost option for getting such battery + charger.

Several years ago I saw a product in a store which was called "Emergency Flashlight",
one that you leave always connected to the wall, for charging,
and it starts working as soon as there's no power from the wall.

I did not need it, but since it was only 5$, and rechargeable, I was curious to buy and disassemble it.
And I did.
It had inside a nice Lead Acid battery, something like 5x5x4cm - a really cute box-shaped battery.
I do not remember the voltage (and cannot find it anymore), and it also contains a charging mechanism.

It cost back then 5$ here..
I now see it for less than 10$..

If the battery is 12v, it's terrific, and cheap as hell,
less than the power tools pack option.. :)

Last edited:
It actually uses LEDs.
High-Brightness LEDs.

Back then when I disassembled it, I asked some friends who are good in electronics why Lead Acid was chosen as the rechargeable battery in it, and not some other known type like Ni-MH or Li-Ion,
and they said that Lead Acid has an advantage of keeping its charge for long terms,
and is also more durable even when charged for long periods.

Lead Acid has a disadvantage also, which is long charging time..
But since this is not a smartphone, but an emergency flashlight, the long charging time disadvantage is not a problem.

Modern versions would use LED and so a smaller battery.
When I searched today online for such emergency flashlights,
I found several who use Lead Acid, several who use Li-Ion,
and half of the models did not specify the battery type..
So you buy and gamble, you don't know what you will get inside..

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.