smps for gainesclone (first smps)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi ime gona be using two of these smps (see attach) to drive lm3886 setup, if some one could answer a few questions would be most appreciated ,would i need more capacitence if so how much ? would adding a snubber improve performance ?what else would i need for the power supply ?, ive bare rigged it just to hear it and theres a bit of hiss when the volume is at 0, is there a simple solution to stop this ? allthough its not too bad it will grate on me listening to it when the project is finished, please answer in laymans terms thanks

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 220
I have the same power supply. Mine accepts 10000uF at the output. If you already have some 2200uF on the amplifier board, I would add no more for a start.

Where do you imagine adding a snubber? A snubber should be next to the PS transformer. Do you suggest to modify the PS?

Is it hiss (broad spectrum of higher frequencies) or hum (50/60Hz). Hiss normally origins from the amplifier itself, hum is often due to the power supply.

A snubber serves to suppress high frequency ringing normally caused by the leakage inductance in a switched magnetic component.

With the amplifier inputs shorted to ground through two 1KOhm resistors, do you still have hiss?

Which amplifier module are you using?

It is rarely the PS that generates hiss. Do you have the possibility to try with another PS to see if the hiss remains?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.