help/advice needed modifying Yamaha RX-V2700 power supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've recently got a USA spec Yamaha RX-V2700 here in the UK really, really cheaply to hopefully modify,

So my issue is the Amp run's off 110V and my local supply is 240V however i did get a small transformer based down converter that works fine however i got it to make a DIY project from hopefully making my own separate power supply, as i understand it the actual power amp won't be able to be used to it's full potential as it is right now,

I've looked at the main transformer and i can't see any way of changing it's primary winding's to accept 240V input or anyway of easily changing the input board supplying the standby power to the amp (however i will be looking further into the latter as it dose have all input voltages with tick boxes noting the voltage it was assembled for so i may be able to change that by changing out selected components as per the service manual,

Anyway I'm thinking about building a separate power supply for the power amp and analogue side which it states on the service manual as being dual rail 63.5vac +/- and 12vac +/- respectively and i have an old Onkyo TX-SR875 for part's with a huge High Current Power Supply transformer that would provide me with 65Vac +/- and 12Vac +/- that i need,

however would the protection on the amp pick up on the extra 1.5V on each rail totalling a 3V increase across the power amp please,

i'm aiming to actually have the main power amp running from another 240V transformer and willing to leave the rest of the amp running from the step down transformer leaving it untouched unless there's improvements making it worth doing as there;s other secondary winding's from the Onkyo transformer or possibly running separate power supply's
plus is there anything else i should consider please ?

any and all help and advice would be greatly received

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
That thing is WAY too complicated to hack.

Get a BIG stepdown transformer, 1000+ Watts, and you will have FULL power. (Remember there are many transformers between the utility power generator and your house; one more is no big deal, if it is ample for the load.)

In your land you can buy Portable Tool transformers to output 110V for use on muddy project sites. They start around 1,500VA, and cost like 100 pounds? This is more than you need, but a Standard Product, thus competitively priced; also well-built for much rougher use than your listening room. (Yeah, add a can of paint in a nice color.)
Portable Tool Transformers, 3000VA to 5000VA | Blakley Electrics

Attachments

• TRDS004_Portable_Tool_Transformers.pdf
    270.3 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Thank you for the fast reply's and yes im already thinking about getting a second hand 110V transformer they use on work sites that are normally a couple of Kva however i just wondered if it was possible to just replace the main transformer in the amplifier as long as you get the voltages

tried editing above post however it has not worked by the look's of it after my computer decided to post it half way through writing it so here go's,

Thank you for the fast reply's and yes im already thinking about getting a second hand 110V transformer they use on work sites that are normally a couple of Kva however i just wondered if it was possible to just replace the main transformer in the amplifier as long as you get the voltages the original transformer provides correct,

im not actually wanting to modify the amp past the power supply, just supply the amp with similar voltages from another transformer, hows the amp going know where it's getting the different voltages from as long as there close enough, within a couple of volt's before it get's to the rectifiers and voltage regulator's ect

what possible issues are there with it please ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.