LM3886 PSU question Antek 4218

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
LM3886 PSU question

Complete newb here, building my first set of amps for bi-amplificaton of my Q acoustics Concept 20 speakers. Im planning on using an F5 Stereo for the top end and a LM3886 like this A Complete Guide to Design and Build a Hi-Fi LM3886 Amplifier - Circuit Basics

Can i use a universal PSU board fromdiyaudio.com to power this with an antek 4218? If so what values should be changed from the BOM.

Thanks in advance, I ordered the PCB's from the website and I'm hoping i didnt bite off more than I can chew. Thanks in advance you amazing people. :wave2:

Thanks for those links! That looks like a pretty simple build although I've never worked with breadboard before.
Are you saying the universal PSU wont work? I would love to be able to repurpose it.

And how does one factor in the transformer that is on hand? Do you just make sure the components can handle the voltage? Or does one have to change resistor values as well.

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
That PSU should be fine, but you could probably go to 20V secondaries and still be fine for four ohm loads (I'm using a a transformer with 2 X 20V and my speakers are about 3 ohms at a few points. but nominally 4 ohms.

I'm not that familiar with the universal supply from the store, but as far as I know it isn't regulated, so not sure what BOM changes (other than perhaps value of main filter caps) you may want to make...

Tony.

Thats a good point Scott, definitely something I'll do in the future. I just decided to use the power supply setup that I linked to in the article above. I'll post a picture of the completed build incase someones interested.

Would a wood and metal enclosure be a bad idea for a first time build? Can I test the amp without an enclosure.

Are you saying the universal PSU wont work? I would love to be able to repurpose it.

And how does one factor in the transformer that is on hand? Do you just make sure the components can handle the voltage? Or does one have to change resistor values as well.

If +- and voltage range is the same you can use for Your amplifier. Linear PSU is universal for all electronic circuits but some times You can try other solutions as well : stabilized, smps etc.

Yes always capacitors need to be in higher Voltage range for example if PSU = 28V then capacitor minimum = 35V. Resistor important parameter is the power dissipation (sometimes voltage too for wire wounds technology)

Building a Gainclone chip amp power supply.

Study tutorials video's about electronic components and how use good quality soldering iron :) All Uncle Doug videos about resistors , caps, amplification etc. are great!

Resistors, Part 1: Their Circuit Function & Practical Applications of Ohm's Law

Have a good time

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.