First build linear PSU help - load balancing outputs.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello

This is my first project. I am planning to build a linear power supply to power a Raspberry Pi 3 and also an Allo Katana DAC.

The RPi needs 5v 2.5A, the Allo Katana needs 5v 1A.

I plan to buy two of these modules, which will give me 4 DC outs:

0.56uV Ultralow noise DAC power supply regulator 3.3/5/7V 2A*x2 - DIYINHK

I appreciate this is minimal DIY but I don't have the knowledge / skill / time to completely design the whole PSU from scratch. I am also aware that additional LT3045 can be added to these circuits - but I don't have the skill / tools to solder SMT chips.

To get the 3A I need, I plan to parallel the output of 3 DC outs which individually produce 5v 1A, to create a 5V 3A rail for the RPi3. The 4th DC out will be used standalone giving 5V 1A for the Katana.

I understand to parallel the outputs that I should use resistors to load balance the three separate supplies. I understand that I need around [CORRECTION 250mOhm] on each output, typically consisting of lower value resistors.

I currently plan to parallel 4 x [CORRECTION 1Ohm] resistors on each output. Thereby 12 resistors in total, which will be placed in parallel.

Questions

1) Why is it recommended to use multiple [CORRECTION 1Oh] resistors as opposed to a single [CORRECTION 250mOhm] resistor?

2) Assuming 1Ohm resistor - what rating do they need to be?

5v3A = 15w . Which spread over 12 resistors ~1.25w per resistor. Not sure the math works like that but I assume I need resistors of >1w.

3) All the 250mOhm >1w resistors I've seen are wirewound, are these suitable for this application?

4) Would I be better with film - what is a suitable film resistor?

Thanks for any guidance.

Also does anyone know the AC input voltage to those power supply regulators? The website specs don't say.:confused:

Last edited:
Basic example here, I've skipped all of the components around the LT3045 but hopefully this illustrates in principle what I said above.

I cannot load your photo.

The LT3045 chips can handle up to 20V on the input. I guess it is the same for the board. A 9Vac should be fine. Does the board include input voltage rectifiers?

1) Four 0.250 resistors in parallel do not bring 1 Ohm but close to 0.063 Ohm.

2) The loss in each resistor is the square of the maximum current in each resistor times the resistance value.
The 5V3A is the output power, no?

3) You have cement and metal-film types as well.

4) Metal film - 0.5W/1W/2W

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

1) Thanks soory I have that back to front. The load balancing should be 0.250Ohm using 4* 1Ohm resistors in parallel.

Question still stands now corrected why are 4*1Ohm resistors better than 1*0.250Ohm resistor?

2) 5v out load balanced over 4 * 1Ohm resistors, v/r=i so 5v/1Ohm = 5A per resistor.

Power = I * V.
Power = 5A x 5V = 25W per resistor.

Power = I^2 * R
Power loss = 5A ^ 2 x 1Ohm = 25W per resistor.

This seems very high?! surely I don't need resistors rated for 25W for each load balancing resistor. Especially since given total power out across all three modules = 5v3A = 15W.

3) Yes I know there are ceramic and metal film. I understand ceramic are noisy. Am I better off using wire wound or metal film for this application?

4) eek need to reconcile this with my calcs in 2)

I still have problems with your photo but never-mind for now.

The description of the power supply boards is not the most precise I have seen but I arrive at the same conclusion as you: You get two boards, each with two outputs of 1A. On each board there is two LT3045 chips with two 0.5A outputs already "bundled" to 1A. So I agree with you, you will have 4 outputs of 1A.

1) Balance resistors. 0.25 Ohm for each 1A output seems likely though higher than what AD uses in their examples (20mOhm and 50mOhm).
With 0.25Ohm and 1A the power loss is 1A*1A*0.25Ohm= 0.25W. It is practical to use four 1Ohm metal-film resistors in parallel because 1Ohm is the lowest regular 0.5W value and metal-film resistors have little noise.

2) No, you are not short-circuiting the output. The balancing resistors go in series with the load. Luckily no 25W. Else, you would current-overload the 1A regulator modules heavily. The 0.25 Ohm balancing resistors add up to 0.25V on top of the 5V.

3) As you can use ordinary 0.5W metal-film resistors in parallel, it is the best. Even 1/3W or 1/4W resistors can be used in parallel.

4) You NEVER get 5V across the balancing resistors unless you short-circuit the output. Then, the regulator current limiters will be invoked and you won't get 5V anyway.

Last edited:
Try psrr load balance load example - Imgur

My plan was 4 balancing resistors per 1A output so 12 resistors across the 3 outputs.

Fourth output does not need balancing as used directly.

I still have problems with your photo but never-mind for now.

The description of the power supply boards is not the most precise I have seen but I arrive at the same conclusion as you: You get two boards, each with two outputs of 1A. On each board there is two LT3045 chips with two 0.5A outputs already "bundled" to 1A. So I agree with you, you will have 4 outputs of 1A.

1) Balance resistors. 0.25 Ohm for each 1A output seems likely though higher than what AD uses in their examples (20mOhm and 50mOhm).
With 0.25Ohm and 1A the power loss is 1A*1A*0.25Ohm= 0.25W. It is practical to use four 1Ohm metal-film resistors in parallel because 1Ohm is the lowest regular 0.5W value and metal-film resistors have little noise.

2) No, you are not short-circuiting the output. The balancing resistors go in series with the load. Luckily no 25W. Else you would current overload the 1A regulator modules heavily. The 0.25 Ohm balancing resistors add up to 0.25V on top of the 5V.

3) As you can use ordinary 0.5W metal-film resistors in parallel it is the best. Even 1/3W or 1/4W resistors can be used in parallel.

4) You NEVER get 5V across the balancing resistors unless you short-circuit the output. Then the regulator current limiters will be invoked and you don't get 5V anyway.

That's great thanks really helpful so they use a single 20mOhm resistor.

Wonder why this article, third diagram, High Current Voltage Regulation | REUK.co.uk suggests using 4 resistors per output?

What voltage loss will I see from a 20mOhm resistor on the 5v out?

Can you explain this a bit more?

How does 0.25Ohm resistors add up to 0.25V ?

How can it be on top of the 5V the LT3045 modules only output 5V ?

1A in 0.25 Ohm leaves a voltage drop of 0.25V.
With a load current of 1A at the 5V output, the LT3045 is told to regulate its output such that the load sees 5V. The LT3045 does that by putting its regulator output at 5.25V. 0.25V for the balance resistor and 5V for the load.

Thanks.

With your boards I'd need four of them to create 5v3a parallelled and 5v1a. Not sure I have space for that.

How come your boards do not have large capacitors as reservoirs on the output?

I assume heatsinks must be added?
Well properly designed Dual (Triple) LT3045 boards can be paralleled without even without ballast resistors, just read my post @CA

My (very) mini review of the Singxer SU-1 DDC - Page 49 - DAC - Digital to Analog Conversion - Computer Audiophile

and here
TPS7A4700 Ultralow-noise LDO regulators PCB, 5/3PINs with Enable and Feedback inputs
I am starting to look at these now instead of the diyinhk version MPAudio | Produktseite

Not sure these can be parallel by the set resistors though.

Thanks.

With your boards I'd need four of them to create 5v3a parallelled and 5v1a. Not sure I have space for that.

For Raspberry Pi (even for 3B+) 1A is enough (can use 1.5A board)
Katana(alone) require about 300ma during startup
OPAMP and Coltroller - about 1A
Total upto 1.3A

How come your boards do not have large capacitors as reservoirs on the output?
Large Cap @ output does not help at all, should be at reg input (but you can add if you want)

I assume heatsinks must be added?I am starting to look at these now instead of the diyinhk version MPAudio | Produktseite

Not sure these can be parallel by the set resistors though.

About heatsink - if dropout voltage (Vin-Vout) under 2V - can use without heatsink, another option - can attach PCB to Chassis with copper heatbridge (small copper bar 5x10x25mm and thermal tape)

Thanks.

Interesting I've had issues running RPi 3 on anything less than 2A. Certainly 750ma and 1A I've had issues with, but maybe because I had Allo Boss hat on.

Allo informed me their stack was 1A not 1.3A.

May be I should get a 2* 1.5A output and see if that is sufficient for RPi and Allo stack before trying to parallel.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.