Unable to locate a 500VCT 40ma (250-0-250) transformer; can I use two smaller transfo

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

Im looking at a tube buffer using the 12AU7 and EZ81 rectifier. The schematic calls for a Allied Electronic 6k88vg (250-0-250. @40ma; 6.3v @2a). Locally (Australia) the cheapest I can find is a Hammond at $120. Heater transformers are cheap but I can't find a 500vct.

I recall reading somewhere that guitar amp guys were reversing wall wart transformers and connecting primaries of one to the secondaries of another to achieve various HV supplies.

Would this be possible, if so what is the equation?
Any other suggestions more affordable?
Our mains is ~240v

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
With no low-price CT transformers, the wisest path is to drop the vacuum rectifier and run 240VAC (from a transformer(s)!) to a full wave bridge of 1N4007 Silicon diodes.

Yes, 240V:6V then (backwards)6V:240V gets you there. The first one should be at least 10VA.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.