Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The "sound" of a mosfet in capacitance multiplier
The "sound" of a mosfet in capacitance multiplier
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th September 2018, 05:44 PM   #11
indaco is offline indaco
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFi View Post
Why on earth did you change from a decent FET to a monster?
I don't understand why indaco says you get 8-10V more with the old, there's not that much difference in Vgs in the two, and the IRFP has higher trasnconductance so the they should give about the same output voltage.
The IRFP should have better performance at low frequency (due to higher Gm) but poorer performance at higher frequencies (due to higher parasitic capacitances). But if that is audible I dunno...
The main reason was to improve the heat dissipation, using a bigger heatsink, but I didn't take into account the consideration sonically.
Old 18th September 2018, 05:58 PM   #12
jlevro is offline jlevro  United States
diyAudio Member

I vote for the parasitic capacitance argument. The capacitance from drain-to-source for the 450 is much larger, so there is the possibility of a lot more noise getting into your circuit from the transformer/rectifier/line etc.
Old 18th September 2018, 06:23 PM   #13
SemperFi is offline SemperFi  Wake Island
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by indaco View Post
The main reason was to improve the heat dissipation, using a bigger heatsink, but I didn't take into account the consideration sonically.
I see your point, logical enough. Interesting you can hear the difference...wow this search for ideal amplifier with ideal power supply with ideal cables with ideal sources with ideal music all terminating into ideal speakers just keeps us all so busy!
Old 20th September 2018, 10:44 PM   #14
indaco is offline indaco
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFi View Post
I see your point, logical enough. Interesting you can hear the difference...wow this search for ideal amplifier with ideal power supply with ideal cables with ideal sources with ideal music all terminating into ideal speakers just keeps us all so busy!
In reality, I know the importance of the PSU especially with tubes...I try to be practical and for reason of space too I don't want to use complicated circuits. Oftentimes the first solution we think is the best

The "sound" of a mosfet in capacitance multiplierHide this!Advertise here!