Develop ultra capacitor power supply and LiFePO4 battery power supply

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
Finally Aguaazuls problem has been solved but we knew that Ian would return to his own thread when there is a new product to promote.
Because the problem took so long to be solved my friend who initially wanted to get the lifepo4 board already decided not to go this way. No matter what the problem is i think they should be shared here in public so potential buyers will know that there will always be help in the end.
On Mouser's website you can read that the availability of the 3000F caps is going to be bad the coming year so one more reason for people to try Chinese copies which Doede recently found out are not up to specs.
We will see who is willing to take some risk. If you will make a test set up like in the attachment and keep it this way for a few months it could go wrong. Like a cat who after a few months getting used to your Acoustat X decides to leave a little "" mark " on them.
Greetings,Eduard

Attachments

• image_67236097.jpg
    image_67236097.jpg
    981 KB · Views: 400
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
Just checked at Mouser availability of these big caps is just bad. Some even say things like no stock and 36 expected to be in stock March 2022.
Ian will have time to focus on persuading people to construct their digital dioramas more to safety standards and also in a way that will give a better sound without a serious investment.But people wanna be fooled just adding more and better boards wont be an improvements if it isnt done according to some rules. As long as people keep updating their boards " every round " why waste time in instructing people how to get the maximum benefits from the gear you are selling?

I know I'm a bit crazy too. But I have to say this could be the best 3.3V power supply is the real world.

It's a UcPure 3.3V configuration with 3000F+3000F ultracapacitors pack. Only ultra capacitors will apply to the circuit when power on. So nothing compare.

UcPure can be in three configurations:
1. 3.3V (two 3000F)
2. 5V (two 3000F)
3. 15V (six 3000F)

Ian

This look very interesting!

How can this be used continuously? What happens when the caps drain during use? Does it start charging? And when charging the circuit is connected to the charger?

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello Canada,
Not really, but there should be more guidance about how to use these enormous energy reservoirs. You still see people on you tube discharging a cap with a screwdriver. Recently i experienced myself how much energy a single lifepo4 contains.
The supercap is a completely different animal but using it incorrectly or just accidentally causing a short circuit wont be much fun too.
We will see.
Greetings,Eduard

Hi Eduard,

Everybody soldering the stuff we discuss on this forum must have enough knowledge to do so safely. Not only ultracaps can be dangerous but everything you built with a wall plug is able to put your house into flames. Each capacitor has limited current, your wall outlet has unlimited current.......

That said: an ultracap is a nice thing to use for spot welding. I use one with two copper pins soldered to it and use it to weld battery tabs to my lifepo4 batteries.

I think Ian’s UcConditioner is a very nice device to be able to use the ultracaps in a safe way.

PS. Blowing up capacitors with a 9v battery in school was quite fun :D

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2020
I'm comfortable with the UltraCaps given the sample size. As long as you don't cross into your own hacks, you should be fine. If there was an hazard issue, it would of been of been brought up by now since there is a decent sample size out there. Ian, I believe, builds similar devices for hospitals so I'm sure the strictest care and testing has been done.

I would not trust an hack or someone trying to replicate a Super Caps product. For those that do, your own thread should be started because there is a conflict of interest. You are piggybacking on Ian's thread trying to promote your own Super Caps solution. If a problem happens with the hack, they may make this thread liable.

Instead of positing negatively about 3000F being out of stock to seek attention for your own < 1000F solution. We already know it's difficult to procure 3000F, but that's the optimal way to go.

I look forward to these products:

UcPure can be in three configurations:
1. 3.3V (two 3000F)
2. 5V (two 3000F)
3. 15V (six 3000F)

In Ian we trust. Let Ian drive instead of trying to be a backseat driver. Hints and ideas are great, just stop trying to push your own solution and just let Ian develop. You guys can create your own thread if you want to push your own solution.

EDIT: Since I'm new to UltraCaps, I put in a Electrical Safe Box. If the house is empty for a long period, I put the box in the shower or bathtub just to be safe. No water running of course. Just a noob safety precaution, but likely not needed.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
I have no commercial interest in this matter. I dont have anything for sale.
I am sure that if ian's products are used the way they should be used nothing will happen.
But once you are improperly mounting these coke can seize caps with all terminals free to touch i think it is not safe.
Most people probably have a faint clue how to execute things safely but they are willing to take the risk..
Usually when it does go wrong they will not share it here.
Greetings, eduard

UcPure has a lot of features/logic to ensure operating with safe. Isolated on/off control, CC/CV charge, discharge/charge monitoring, protections, status indicators and more. That's why a UcPure looks pretty complicated.

Unless using a fully finished produce with everything sealed inside the case, DIYers still have to take care of some basic safety things, such as never short circuit, never reverse the power supply and so on.

Regards,
Ian

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
Today finally received some chokes to make a choke input supply for the lifepo4 board. Will use a similar one for the Roon nucleus supply which will have a supply made and adjusted by Doede to deliver a little extra current.
Greetings,Eduard

Attachments

• 20210622_154132.jpg
    20210622_154132.jpg
    260.8 KB · Views: 407
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello Ian,
Of course you are absolutely right about the responsibility that comes with your products.
When properly used nothing will happen.
But i think there are still lot of folks who think they can kind of apply their own safety regulations because they have been doing this hobby for so long.
I have experienced some fires in my life. All of them it wasnt me who caused it. My grandfather got killed in a fire half a century ago. After having an accident at work with a big tank of boiling water his walking skills were temporarily bad. He used to paint oil on canvas and had loads of paint, white spirit in his shed but no electric light so a candle. So died during a hobby .
Greetings,Eduard

Disabled Account
Joined 2020
Hello,
I have no commercial interest in this matter. I dont have anything for sale.
I am sure that if ian's products are used the way they should be used nothing will happen.
But once you are improperly mounting these coke can seize caps with all terminals free to touch i think it is not safe.
Most people probably have a faint clue how to execute things safely but they are willing to take the risk..
Usually when it does go wrong they will not share it here.
Greetings, eduard

Since your project is in it's infancy, for now it's not for sale. But you keep pushing your project on everyone to try to garner enough interest. It's confusing. I have no idea which thread I am in, it's 50% Ian's thread and 50% Eduard's/Doede's thread.

Maybe a Eduard's/Doedes's power supply thread would be better. It's like Eduard's non-Ian project blog when we want to just be informed on Ian's products.

Or you keep trying to deflect to safety issues when we all know the risks involved in this hobby. It's always something negative, but everything about your own project is positive.

Can we just try to stay on-topic with just the Ian goods...?

You project turned out nice, it deserves it's own thread. Maybe a Eduard's project blog thread will do. It's difficult to find out about Ian's project's when you outnumber Ian's post 10-1 talking about your own non-Ian project. The search / filter feature is not that robust to nail down info just to relate to Ian's products.

I understand you are proud of your project, you should be it turned out great. But the focus of this thread is Ian's products.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
I will use the lifepo4 board with fifopi, reclockpi, stationpi, Ucconditioner board for the 5 volts, and 3 UcHybrid boards for 3 different 3,3 volt supplies.
I have absolutely no intention of selling anything. Later i might sell my Aurender but many times if selling takes to much time i give electronics to charity.
After " preselecting " a big batch of diodes my old Radiometer will go there too.
Greetings,Eduard

Attachments

• 20210622_194549.jpg
    20210622_194549.jpg
    264.2 KB · Views: 353
Disabled Account
Joined 2020
Hi,

I admire your passion. Just put it in the right place (thread).

I had warn you and others that Ian was eventually planning a UC 12V - 16V. I warned that a hack board versus a Ian board may be unsafe. You went ahead with your own project which turned out nice, but it had it's 5 minutes of fame. Most are now focused and supportive on Ian's UcPure.

The only negativity on this thread is from those that created their own boards instead of patiently waiting for Ian to conjure up his witchcraft. I don't blame you though, I unpatiently go through dead end projects all the time and then just move on if it doesn't work out. I don't go talk negatively about a product that's not even out yet just because my own project didn't work out the way I thought it would. I certainty don't use scare tactics to bring focus to my own products, but discuss in terms of risks and numbers.

You used my safety advice I gave to you against Ian's products even though I mentioned long ago that we would of heard something negative by now given the sample size of Ian's products sold. I mentioned a hack board was unsafe, not Ian's products.

If one just uses common safety sense then the risk is extremely low. Just think in terms of sample size. You don't think it would of been reported here in 10 seconds if something happened? Simple things like how to turn on the product gets posted quicker than something extreme?

I just don't like seeing Ian's present and future product's bashed to compensate for someone's project that didn't work out. Projects don't work out all the time, we just move to the next project.

Ian got this. Let's just be supportive instead of taking control of the steering wheel.

EDIT: I also warned if you have a whole lineup of Ian's Uc products, why create a anomaly? Having a whole Ian lineup is much safer and consistent than having a mix of Uc and Hack.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello Ian,
My friend will order a lifepo4 board soon but i told him to check availability of the supercaps.
The Skeleton caps which Mouser had in stock when i ordered them and which are a drop in replacement for the Maxwell are now out of stock at Mouser and they will get 189 pieces first October.
The maxwell (2560 pieces) will arrive on 12 October.
There are some 3000F available at Mouser but we will have to wait for Ian's latest board. Let me guess 250$ a piece.
There are loads of '' knock off'' caps available but i would surely not use them.
Greetings, eduard

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
I found a distributor in Germany with 300F caps with the same kind of terminal like the Skeleton cap. Will tell my friend to stock up on them
No use in receiving the boards next weekend and then wait until October for new stock of caps to arrive at Mouser.
Probably these kind of caps are going to be hard to get for at least a year ( if you go for a reputable supplier) or they will go up in price like a good wine.
Greetings, Eduard