Develop ultra capacitor power supply and LiFePO4 battery power supply

Hello Ian,

Hope you are safe and well. Could you give a project status update on the new version and when you feel it might be ready for purchase please?

I know all this takes time and you need to bed in and test and the wait is worth it :)

Interested to know how you are progressing and my super caps are already purchased :D

Thank you

Hello Ian,

Hope you are safe and well. Could you give a project status update on the new version and when you feel it might be ready for purchase please?

I know all this takes time and you need to bed in and test and the wait is worth it :)

Interested to know how you are progressing and my super caps are already purchased :D

Thank you

Ian is ok, but very busy with producing medical ventilators, big order for Canada. Our toys will be ready for order next week.

GREAT to hear all is well!

Producing ventilators is MUCH more important than our toys and now it’s clear why he has been quiet on here

Well done Ian for all your efforts at this difficult time in the world

Thanks guys, Yes I'm really busy these days. But I still need time to take care my diyAudio projects.

I'll post some good news for you and trying to make them available soon.

Regards,
Ian

UcConditioner V7.0

UcConditioner 5V design has been updated to V7.0 with big improvements.

1. Fully ultra low On-resistance MOS FET design. Get rid of relay.
2. Built-in constant current per-charge/charge circuits.
3. Built-in DC input detection and ultra capacitor monitoring circuits.
4. Control enable/disable conditioning automatically without any delay.
5. Control logic runs at back ground, no longer need any control signal. Just input and output. Really easy to use.
6. On-board active balancers to protect ultra capacitors.
7. Input: terminal connector and USB-C.
8. Output: terminal connector and USB-C.
9. With external ultra capacitor connector flexible for additional/external capacitors.
10. LED indications for power on, power good, ultra capacitor full and conditioning.
11. Double thickness PCB copper layer especially designed for high current and ultra low ESR applications.
12. MOS FETs controlled by optical isolators to eliminate any possible leakage current.

Testing result will be posted very soon.

UcConditionerV7_1
by Ian, on Flickr

Good weekend.
Ian

Last edited:
UcConditioner V7.0 with ultra capacitors installed

Please see the UcConditioner picture with ultra capacitors installed.

Ultra capacitors P/N:
BCAP0325 P270 S17
BCAP0350 E270 T11

Both of them are very good. But I prefer the first one a little bit because of the lower ESR. In real listening test, lower ESR ones also sound better.

The pins of ultra capacitors are very strong. Have to use iron with power 80W or higher to solder them on to UcConditionerPi PCB. It also because of the 2oz PCB copper layer.

However, to remove them from PCB would be a big challenge. So, if you are new to ultra capacitors, I would suggest using the external capacitor connector first. You could solder them to PCB only after you confirmed everything is OK.

UcConditionerV7wUC_1
by Ian, on Flickr

Ian

:wiz:
Can't wait to try it :>)
Please
see the UcConditioner picture with ultra capacitors installed.

Ultra capacitors P/N:
BCAP0325 P270 S17
BCAP0350 E270 T11

Both of them are very good. But I prefer the first one a little bit because of the lower ESR. In real listening test, lower ESR ones also sound better.

The pins of ultra capacitors are very strong. Have to use iron with power 80W or higher to solder them on to UcConditionerPi PCB. It also because of the 2oz PCB copper layer.

However, to remove them from PCB would be a big challenge. So, if you are new to ultra capacitors, I would suggest using the external capacitor connector first. You could solder them to PCB only after you confirmed everything is OK.

UcConditionerV7wUC_1
by Ian, on Flickr

Ian

How much improvement that UcConditioner maks: (1) USB power supply dynamic load test

I did dynamic load transient response test to a normal USB power adapter, just want to know how much improvement that UcConditioner can make to it.

USB power: 5V/3A
Dynamic load: Demand current step 0.1A to 0.6A, switching at every 500us.
Ultra capacitors: BCAP0325 P270 S17

Picture1: UcConditioner and USB power supply
Picture2: Load transient response of the USB power supply
Picture3: Load transient response of the same USB power supply with UcConditioner attached.

I have to say that the UcConditioner really makes a huge improvement to the USB power supply.

Ian

Attachments

• UcConditionerUsbPower.jpg
    UcConditionerUsbPower.jpg
    259.1 KB · Views: 807
  • UsbPower500maDynamicLoadResponse.png
    UsbPower500maDynamicLoadResponse.png
    31.7 KB · Views: 798
  • UcConditionerUsbPower500maDynamicLoadResponse.png
    UcConditionerUsbPower500maDynamicLoadResponse.png
    29.4 KB · Views: 796
Last edited:
How much improvement that UcConditioner maks: (2) Linear supply dynamic load test

I did dynamic load transient response test to an audiophile linear power supply, just want to know how much improvement that UcConditioner can make to it.

Linear power supply: 5V/3A

Picture1: UcConditioner and the linear power supply
Picture2: Load transient response of the linear power supply
Picture3: Load transient response of the same linear power supply with UcConditioner attached.

I have to say that the UcConditioner makes a huge improvement to the linear power supply too.

Ian

Attachments

• UcConditionerLinearPower.jpg
    UcConditionerLinearPower.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 798
  • LinearPower500maDynamicLoadResponse.png
    LinearPower500maDynamicLoadResponse.png
    26.1 KB · Views: 767
  • UcConditionerLinearPower500maDynamicLoadResponse.png
    UcConditionerLinearPower500maDynamicLoadResponse.png
    25.6 KB · Views: 276
Last edited:
Joined 2018
Paid Member
I am interested to try some ultracapacitor. I feed AVCC woth an opamp based psu so as ESS recommends so shall leave that be but will try the other 2 DAC rails and the fifo. Rpi is by Salas Adapter.

I have a line on some BCAP0310 T270 B10 which have 2m2mohm esr. The seller on Ebay has some new old stock and says have been in storage for 2 years. The ds says shelf life is 4years. Would these still be good to go?

I was going to charge them with the existing psu I use for those rails (Lt1963). The charging will be current limited by the 1963. I intend to charge them and them turn off the LT1963 supply.

Does this sound like a feasible plan?

Unfortunately the BCAP0310 arent pin compatible with Ian's board so I shall just be soldering wires and resistors.

How much improvement that UcMateConditioner maks: (3) LifePO4 MkIII dynamic load test

I did dynamic load transient response test to LifePO4 power supply Linear DC 5V output, just want to know how much improvement that UcMateConditioner can make to it.

LifePO4 MkIII DC power supply 5V Linear voltage rail.

Picture1: UcMateConditioner integrated with LifePO4 MkIII through UcAdapter PCB.
Picture2: Load transient response of the 5V linear rail of the LifePO4 MkIII
Picture3: Load transient response of the same 5V DC output with UcConditioner attached.

I have to say that the LifePO4 MkIII 5V output (LT3042) is already very good. But UcMateConditioner still makes improvement over it.

Ian

Attachments

• UcMateConditionerWithMkIII.jpg
    UcMateConditionerWithMkIII.jpg
    326.8 KB · Views: 299
  • LifePO4LoadResponse.png
    LifePO4LoadResponse.png
    26.4 KB · Views: 295
  • UcMateLoadResponse.png
    UcMateLoadResponse.png
    25.3 KB · Views: 247
Hi Ian.
I looked at the documentation on GitHub - iancanada/DocumentDownload: Download documents of Ian's products
To get a clean 12 V power supply from LifePO4 MKIIII using Ultra Capacitors, I have to use UcHybrid 3.3V KIT. How many PCBs are included in this kit?
For 12 V I will need 4 pcb. When will it be possible to order them?
I did not quite understand the indicated price. When comparing UcHybrid 3.3V KIT $ 45 and UcMateConditioner 5V KIT (for LifePO4 MkIII, II), $ 58.00 with a very small difference in price, the difference in complexity of the PCB and the number of parts is very large.
Perhaps the price of UcHybrid 3.3V KIT is preliminary.